Scopes Open Full Screen When Expanded

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thirdcoastcinematics

Scopes Open Full Screen When Expanded

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 9:58 pm

Whenever I hit the expand button on the scopes in the color page, it opens full screen in a completely new window. It won't let me minimize and only gives me the option to exit. This only started happening after I updated to DR18, and bought the studio version. Before, I had DR17 free version, and the scopes opened like normal, in a small adjustable window overlayed on the main screen.

Is this a bug, or is there a setting that I need to change? Because my only option at the moment is either use it as the single view in the bottom left corner, or buy a second monitor so that I can view the scopes while making adjustments... neither option is preferred at the moment, so any advice would be greatly appreciated! (And yes I tried resetting the UI layout)

Jim Simon

Re: Scopes Open Full Screen When Expanded

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 3:55 pm

Not seeing any issues in Studio 18.0.1 on Windows 10.

You have at least 1440 resolution for your monitor?

You have Display Scaling set to 100%

Display Scaling.png
Display Scaling.png (102.05 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 4:25 pm

This is a problem on my Mac.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Andy Mees

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 4:58 pm

Sounds like you are running in macOS 'Full Screen' mode.
FYI, for me, under that condition, Workspace menu > Reset UI Layout returns the window to a floating (but not resizable) status.

thirdcoastcinematics

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 11:33 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Not seeing any issues in Studio 18.0.1 on Windows 10.

You have at least 1440 resolution for your monitor?

You have Display Scaling set to 100%

Display Scaling.png

I have a mac so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not, but yes my monitor's resolution is 4k. But I'll check what my display settings are and see if that makes a difference.

thirdcoastcinematics

PostMon Aug 22, 2022 11:37 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Sounds like you are running in macOS 'Full Screen' mode.
FYI, for me, under that condition, Workspace menu > Reset UI Layout returns the window to a floating (but not resizable) status.

Yes, I am, I actually found out after I posted this that if I don't run DaVinci in full screen then the scopes will open in a floating window.

In regards to the UI layout reset, that sometimes works for me but I have to do that every time I reopen it, and it also doesn't work every time. I guess this will just be what pushes me to finally get a second monitor haha

Steve Alexander

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 1:17 pm

IMO there is a bug here on MacOS - the scopes should not go into full screen when they are floated (even if Resolve is in full-screen mode). Not sure if this is some sort of MacOS thing that changed with Monterey.

I haven't tried this recently but I was able to drop out of full screen mode in Resolve, then float the scopes and then return to full screen mode with Resolve (with the scopes still floating). Not ideal and I haven't tried it recently so even this workaround may not work any longer.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Sven H

PostThu Sep 15, 2022 5:48 am

Same here. Works as expected on R17, but goes into full screen on R18.0.2. I was hoping there is a checkbox somewhere to turn it off.

yourmommahasfleas

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 8:23 am

Same issue here on my mac. in my case, i use dual monitor and fullscreen mode. but i have my second monitor as clean video output and would like to float the scopes as a resizable window somewhere in monitor one, like previously possible.
When i expand the scopes to 'float' mode they go fullscreen on monitor one. Can't resize or move the window. Mac is treating it as another fullscreen 'page'.
I don't want to have to change out of fullscreen mode to be able to float the monitor, then go back to fullscreen mode - as an experiment i tried that, and it didn't work for me, the scopes still went fullscreen when i expanded them, with DVR in non-fullscreen mode.

Please fix
DVR (Studio) updated regularly -> Latest version
iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB + Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB
2TB SSD Samsung X5 HD for Cache/Project files

Uli Plank

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 9:35 am

Same here.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Charles Bennett

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 2:21 pm

In Windows the floating Scopes window is resizable by clicking on the bottom righthand corner and moving it. It should remember that sizing when re-opening it subsequently. It works this way on a second monitor too. Might be worth trying on a Mac.
Attachments
Scopes Sizing.jpg
Scopes Sizing.jpg (406.7 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Oct 31, 2022 2:38 pm

MacOS 'full screen' mode is different than on Windows. If you are in full screen mode in Resolve on a Mac and you open (detach) the scopes, they go to full screen mode and the widget that would take them out of full screen is disabled. The only option is to exit (close) the scopes (which docks them back to the normal interface).
Time Traveller

Sunlit777

PostSat Dec 24, 2022 2:27 pm

This is really annoying! Has anyone reported this bug to Blackmagic team?

Uli Mors

PostThu Dec 29, 2022 9:23 pm

Hi,

this worked for me on the Mac (Resolve 18.0.1):

exit fullscreen of resolve app (make it scalable) and QUIT (perhaps reset UI in Menu Workspace before, no idea if this helps as well)

Re-Open Resolve and try if scopes arent fullsize anymore.

regards

Uli

Sunlit777

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 8:21 am

Uli Mors wrote:Hi,
Re-Open Resolve and try if scopes arent fullsize anymore.
Uli

Just tried - exit fullscreen view mode, reset workspace view, quit app, relaunch, go back full screen, and scopes open fullscreen on next mac desktop.
The only workaround is to exit fullscreen view each time before you want to open scopes in separate floating window - it will then open randomly at some other desktop (if you use multiple desktops), then you have to manually try to drag it onto the desktop with the main app and sometimes it works. Very annoying.

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 04, 2023 9:25 am

If I have the scopes open and scaled down, I can switch back and forth between both modes for the whole program without the scopes changing. I can also leave the scopes open and quit DR. After restart they keep their size and position.

So, whenever you want to open the large scopes, make sure to switch the GUI to scalable by the green dot. After you have positioned the scopes, you can change the GUI to regain that screen space.

Please note that I'm still running Monterey.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

carbonfubar

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 5:06 pm

I clicked on Scopes> Expand. The Scopes filled the entire screen, without any way to collapse.

Hover cursor at top of screen > Workspace > Video Scopes > Toggle On/Off

Or Shift+command+W

I couldn't find any other solution.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 10:03 am

Did you try the sequence I suggested? It works reliably here.

carbonfubar

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 6:03 pm

It would seem that when using a mac, If Resolve is set to full screen, then expanding the scopes (in 4x4 for instance) will lock the scopes screen in full screen mode, even after taking resolve out of full screen, if that makes sense.

The only way I can find to stop the expanded scopes screen from locking in full screen, is "do not", open resolve in full screen.

If resolve is stretched manually, to cover nearly all the screen area, then expanding the scopes will allow resizing.

I'm not sure what others do, but I'll be using a second monitor to display scopes. Presumably, this'll work.

Tom Deburchgrave

PostSun Jan 29, 2023 11:19 am

The bug is still there unfortunately. There are workaround solutions but it's still a bug. Would be nice if they fix it so we can have normal working scopes while resolve is in full screen mode on Mac os.

Mr Chance

PostMon May 01, 2023 5:32 pm

I found a solution. Is a MacOS Issue not a Davinci Resolve.

-Exit full screen view in Davinci Resolve (upper left green window button)
-Enter "Mission control" in Mac OS. (on most apple keyboards is F3)
-On top of the screen with the workspaces the scopes appear as a thumbnail.
-If you put the mouse pointer on the upper left corner of the thumbnail two arrows appear.
-Click and the window is free again.

Enjoy!

jamescass

PostTue May 02, 2023 10:25 pm

This worked for me. Thanks!

Mr Chance wrote:I found a solution. Is a MacOS Issue not a Davinci Resolve.

-Exit full screen view in Davinci Resolve (upper left green window button)
-Enter "Mission control" in Mac OS. (on most apple keyboards is F3)
-On top of the screen with the workspaces the scopes appear as a thumbnail.
-If you put the mouse pointer on the upper left corner of the thumbnail two arrows appear.
-Click and the window is free again.

Enjoy!

yourmommahasfleas

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 8:23 am

Shift-Cmd-W as a shortcut is useful, thank you, but this still only works if you accept that you have to work in non full screen mode, but rather 'almost' full screen mode with the window filling the screen but still showing the menu bar at the top.
Yes you can tell mac to auto hide menu bar 'always' in sys prefs, but i can’t help but feel these are slightly irritating amendments i would rather not make.

It would be first prize if we were able to float 'always on top' the scopes window, in a non maximised state (or maximised if so chosen), whilst working in full screen mode on a mac.

If this really is a non-fixable 'mac problem' relating to the way the fullscreen mode handles windows, I would hope that DVR could implement some way of moving the scopes within the interface, without actually creating a new window that mac would treat differently.

At the end of the day, my main requirement is this: I would like to work full screen and see parade and vectorscope simultaneously, whilst grading. If those both 'had' to be locked in the bottom right corner, i'd still take that win.

Please and thank you.
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM

yourmommahasfleas

PostTue Aug 15, 2023 8:29 am

MrChance your helpful suggestion still doesn't quite satisfactorily work in my setup either. The moment I re-enter fullscreen mode the floating window usually disappears. If it doesn't immediately, it does when i click anywhere in da vinci
128 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve