Running with Rosetta on M1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

sackboydad

Running with Rosetta on M1

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 7:05 pm

Hi!

I've got some audio plug-ins (waves audio) that, for some confounding reason, don't support M1 Macs through Resolve. Really?

Anyway, the manufacturer's solution was to change the "Get Info" settings to run Resolve with Rosetta.

since it's a universal binary, if I do turn that on, to make the audio plugins compatible, am I actually telling it to run the INTEL version of Resolve rather than the native Apple Silicon version?

Still scratching my head why, two years after M1's introduction, they don't natively support Apple but that's another story.

Steve Alexander

Re: Running with Rosetta on M1

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 8:15 pm

Surprising. iZotope is well under way transitioning to support the M1 chip. I would have expected the same from Waves Audio. What does their website say about M1 support?
aka Barkinmadd
Resolve Studio 19.0b3 | Fusion Studio 19.0b3 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.5

mickspixels

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 8:28 pm

Universal means it will run the appropriate native version for your computer so you should not change it to run on Rosetta as it would be telling it to run the Intel version. If it says Intel it should give the option to run on Rosetta. Most major apps are now Universal it seems.

sackboydad

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 pm

…. Got it. Makes sense. Just trying to figure out how to use these audio plugins. I certainly don’t want to dumb my Mac Studio Ultra down to an Intel device by turning on Rosetta :-)

sackboydad

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 9:28 pm

An Update:

Talked to a very nice and helpful individual at Waves tech support.

Long story short..... Resolve hasn't been tested so it's nowhere on their list. Every one of their plugins has been updated to natively work with the M1, except (of course the one I want to use) Clarity Vx.

they are working on a Clarity Vx Update to v14 but it's not ready yet. He wasn't able to give a timeframe for v14 release. But, I guess for the short term it'll be a small price to put Resolve in Rosetta mode for audio work.

I cannot say enough about the positive experience I had with Waves' tech support.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 9:31 pm

There are a few third party things that require running Resolve in Rosetta mode. If that's the solution for your plugins, and you want to use those plugins, seems like that's what you'll need to do.

The Resolve performance hit doesn't seem huge, so if your project isn't too complex, running in Rosetta mode may not be an issue. Try it and see.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve