Speed editor on edit page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MichielRotgans

Speed editor on edit page

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 1:22 pm

When you use the speed editor on the edit page in combination with the 'selection follows playhead' option. Every time you use the split button on the speed editor and you scroll to the next clip only the video layer is selected, not the audio layer. This messes up a lot when you cutting interviews. The same thing doesn't happen when performing this on a keyboard.

MichielRotgans

Re: Speed editor on edit page

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 4:40 pm

I have to add something to this. I found out it only happens when you do a second split on a certain clip like a long interview etc. It seems like the fault is in the selection follows playhead command. That only works the first time. When you deselect the clip it’s reseted and kind of a work around

Alex=Alex

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 5:44 pm

The speed editor is designed for the cut page. It has small functionality in the edit page, but as you've experienced that is not the use case. Consider looking at YouTube for speededitor tutorials, there are many many good ones, and it will help you get the most out of it.
Inside the box? I didn't know about any box...

Charles Bennett

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 8:09 pm

It's working as it should on my system with Selection Follows Playhead enabled. I use the Speed Editor and the Split button in the Edit page all the time. Have you got the video and audio tracks linked? With nothing highlighted in the Timeline click on the Link icon to enable it.
Link-Un-link Video and Audio.jpg
Link-Un-link Video and Audio.jpg (159.35 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

You might find this video, and indeed the channel, useful.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Joe Shapiro

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 11:24 pm

I suspect it works as expected when linked selection is turned on and not when it’s turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Charles Bennett

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:04 am

If you have the tracks unlinked but Selection Follows Playhead turned on, only the video track gets selected and affected by the Split or Trim, etc. edit keys, leaving the audio track untouched.
In this scenario turning the video track Auto Track Selector off will then have the edit keys only affect the audio track.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:03 am

Do you guys think there is any chance BM upgrades the SPEEDEDITOR so that the buttons can be programmable? (making it USEFUL!)
If you are like me and do your work on the edit page the SPEEDEDITOR is mindbogglingly stupid and worthless.
It's beyond belief that you cannot trim the start or end of a clip to the playhead.
THIS IS THE ONLY THING I NEED THE SPEEDEDITOR TO DO!
THE ONLY THING THE SPEEDEDITOR SHOULD DO - IT DOES NOT DO!
The only conclusion is that the SPEEDEDITOR was made by a sadist.

Thanx

Charles Bennett

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:46 am

Ok, so the Speed Editor doesn't fit your workflow. It fits mine. I make use of most of the keys and the jog wheel, with the I/O, Split, and Source/Timeline keys in particular. ;)
If by Trim to Playhead you mean a dedicated button, well no. But nothing is stopping you using either the Trim In or Out buttons and using the jog wheel to trim up to the Playhead.

Singularity

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 10:05 am

Highly unlikely that they will allow customization of the buttons IMO.

IMO, it works great in the cut page. I do wish it had more functionality in the edit page. Or at least, more consistent functionality with edit page vs cut page.
Resolve 18 Studio. Windows 11 Pro. Ryzen 2700x. GTX 3060. 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 RAM. ASUS Crosshair x370.

SkierEvans

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 12:39 pm

Carl Jirestedt wrote:Do you guys think there is any chance BM upgrades the SPEEDEDITOR so that the buttons can be programmable? (making it USEFUL!)
If you are like me and do your work on the edit page the SPEEDEDITOR is mindbogglingly stupid and worthless.
It's beyond belief that you cannot trim the start or end of a clip to the playhead.
THIS IS THE ONLY THING I NEED THE SPEEDEDITOR TO DO!
THE ONLY THING THE SPEEDEDITOR SHOULD DO - IT DOES NOT DO!
The only conclusion is that the SPEEDEDITOR was made by a sadist.

Thanx

Like Charles says, I like it the way it is now. Works for me on the CUT and EDIT page the way I work. It was designed specifically for the CUT page. If you do not use all these features for the CUT page why did you get the Speed Editor. They did make some changes for multicam use that do work on the EDIT page that I like and use.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

kinvermark

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 2:11 pm

+1. I never use the CUT page; I ALWAYS use my Speed Editor when editing in the EDIT page.

Works great. IMO there is nothing essential missing from the SE in the EDIT page. If you need extra keys/functions for your workflow then map them to your regular keyboard.

No point in waiting for BM to add custom keys; if it happens, great, otherwise just get on with it.

@ Carl: just map trims to keyboard (e.g. Q,W just like Ppro... or whatever you like.)
Windows 10 laptop. Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 4070 ti Super eGPU, SSD disks. Resolve Studio (latest)

Carl Jirestedt

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 8:40 am

Kinvermark - A simple - just map the functions you want to the keyboard Tip, is not going to do it for me.
It took me 30 seconds of use before I found out that the speededitor was this useless for me.
It took me a couple of days of reading the manual and searching the internet before I could believe it was actually designed to be this way. Then I spent a day trying to find a good way to adjust to its flaws, making Q and W be my trim buttons (thank you Adobe) but the big issue is hand placement. Having everything on the Speededitor is the preferred way.
I don't want to sound arrogant but some of you guys have the mindset of cheeps, when in fact you should be visionaries, pushing developers to the edge of their feet.
You may find that the speededitor works for you, but there is a good chance you have just adapted to it and settled for a solution that is far from the best one.
The point of the speededitor is to be a superfast slave that does exactly what its master wants it to do.
Unless BM can figure out exactly what this is, they need to have some keys programmable so that every master can have their own way. The fact that they thought that they nailed it, and did not care to make it programmable in any way, is arrogant to me.
The fact that they have 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 cam buttons in the center of the device - AND NOT HAVING A WAY TO MAKE THESE BUTTONS PROGRAMMABLE IS THE MOST SHOCKING MISHAP I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS!
The solution is right there, waiving at your face every time you look at the thing.

Charles Bennett

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:42 am

So instead of coming across as me, me, me, and I know better than you or BMD, just don't use it and let us with "the mindset of cheeps", whatever that means, get on and use it. ;)

Michel Rabe

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 am

Carl Jirestedt wrote:The point of the speededitor is to be a superfast slave that does exactly what its master wants it to do.
The fact that they have 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 cam buttons in the center of the device - AND NOT HAVING A WAY TO MAKE THESE BUTTONS PROGRAMMABLE IS THE MOST SHOCKING MISHAP I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS!
The solution is right there, waiving at your face every time you look at the thing.

It's a superfast slave on the CUT page, which it is intended for.

I completely agree on the cam buttons though, those should be assignable because they are useless for probably a majority of users.

Carl Jirestedt

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:47 am

Charles Bennett wrote:So instead of coming across as me, me, me, and I know better than you or BMD, just don't use it and let us with "the mindset of cheeps", whatever that means, get on and use it. ;)

Nothing is stopping you from using the speededitor sir.
If you don't like improvements then you should be fine where you are and I'm happy for you.

I'm not afraid to say that I do know better than many programmers and designers at BMD.
I have 10+ years in editing, but the experience is not what is the most important.
Many programmers have a mindset where they settle for "a solution" instead of "the best solution". This is a common problem, and many users settle for the same thing.
This is nothing specific to BMD. For instance, Adobe After Effects development team doesn't bother with issues that can be fixed via a third-party script!
There is a big difference between using a product that is perfect and a product that works - when a product is perfect you love using it and gladly pay top dollar for it.

SkierEvans

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 1:30 pm

The beauty of Resolve is it has pages for specific tasks. Not that some of these tasks can be done in other pages but the specific page has more control. To not use a page , for some strange reason is an admission of inability to learn something new and take advantage of the page specific features. BM has specific hardware for these pages that take advantage of that page features. For instance, if you never use the CUT page why buy the Speed Editor when there is a full keyboard designed for the EDIT page. I do not see why BM would want to modify a lower cost piece of hardware to meet the features of something they already make on which they can make more profit. After all their business model is hardware sales. I move between the pages to take advantage of the page specific features. The beauty of Resolve, it is only a button press to do this and in each case the project is in exactly the same position on the timeline. That includes the CUT page where there are specific buttons etc for fine trimming etc.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Carl Jirestedt

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:00 am

Skierevans. I don't understand why your definition of beauty is relevant here?

I don't trust the full keyboard to replace my regular keyboard entirely, and I don't want to have both due to space and price, and by now I don't want to take the risk of finding out I can't reprogram that hefty piece. Most likely I would be stuck with only the keys BMD thinks I need in my work.
At least now, with the speededitor I have a worthless device that is small.

SkierEvans

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:01 pm

Carl, if you learned to use the CUT page you could use all the fine trim controls available with specific keys and wheel control. You can go between the CUT and EDIT page to do this at any time. Just a button push. That is exactly what the Speed Editor was designed to do and it does this very well. You just need to use the software page it was designed to be used on.

Carl Jirestedt

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 2:43 pm

SkierEvans wrote:Carl, if you learned to use the CUT page you could use all the fine trim controls available with specific keys and wheel control. You can go between the CUT and EDIT page to do this at any time. Just a button push. That is exactly what the Speed Editor was designed to do and it does this very well. You just need to use the software page it was designed to be used on.

I have now given the CUT page in combination with the speededitor another try. I have hit the wall of frustration since I cannot, with the push of a button trim a clip from start or end to the playhead position.
Sure, the trim in or out and slip and so on is a good tool. But the most fundamental and important function is missing.
As an editor, I don't care what your setup is, even if you do things the way the BMD designed the speededitor to be used, you will still find yourself in this position hundreds of times every day!
Because when you are playing through the timeline or through clips in the bin or whatever, you rarely scrub through a clip to find in and out points. You PLAY the clip in 100% speed. Meaning, you don't use the scrub or the trim in or out via scrubwheel+button-combinations. This is something you only do when you are looking for a very specific frame for your cut, when you go by natural feeling and timing you use playback - and then you stop the playback when you have arrived at the right place for a cut.
THEN YOU PRESS THE TRIM CLIP END/START TO THE PLAYHEAD POSITION - BUTTON!
Why in the name of the lord should you instead redo the work you just did and scrub the clip all over again from the clip start or the clip end - in a way to try to find back to the playhead position where you already are? Why? There is no reason. It's not only bad design by will. It is a time-stealing design by will.
If you try to justify this flaw perhaps you should just revert back to analog!

And on top of that the "selection follows playback" does not work properly (this bug is more than a decade old!!!) so I can't even use the speededitor in combination with my keyboard shortcuts to access trim clip start/end that way. BMD really created a monster of a fail here! And most likely, arrogance, laziness, and greed, is the only thing stopping them from fixing it in a firmware update.

Thank you

Michel Rabe

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 6:32 pm

Carl Jirestedt wrote:...since I cannot, with the push of a button trim a clip from start or end to the playhead position.

Wait. That's not possible?! LOL!

EDIT: wow, people complain about this forever and BMD does nothing :)
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=136673

Return to DaVinci Resolve