Waveform/Audio Problem in Resolve with XAVC-Intra Files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

editorAT

Waveform/Audio Problem in Resolve with XAVC-Intra Files

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 am

Hi there,

I´m currently setting up a project in Davinci Resolve. I´m working on a pretty powerful machine, (Mac OSX 12.5.1, 64GB Ram, 1TB SSD), my footage is stored on a NAS connected with 10GBit ethernet.

The footage is from two Sony FS7, XAVC Intra 10Bit 4:2:2 UHD 25fps/50fps, about 500GB in total.

Yesterday when I created the project and added the footage to the project, the NAS was quite busy - understandable for me, because the audio waveforms have to be created. I put single segments into timelines. After some time, the waveform of at least one track of the footage files, which all have multi-channel audio (8 tracks), was displayed bit by bit. If I set this track to solo, i hear something. If I set another track that has no waveform to solo, i hear nothing. If I load a footage file into the source monitor and select audio track, it shows nothing.

I then thought ok - resolve needs some time to create the waveforms and let the computer run for a few hours and then shut down automatically. This morning when i started the computer and opened the project, again there are no waveforms in the project and everything behaves like the day before. When i switch between timelines, resolve also hangs for at least a minute. Also when i drag a video file into the timeline, resolve hangs. I do not want to transcode all of my footage, there should be no need to do this because other NLEs also work with these files.

Can someone explain to me what is going on here and why Resolve can't display waveforms and play the audio of my files correctly? I also hear constantly on the disks in the NAS that resolve is accessing files and probably trying to create the waveforms. Btw, video is played back correctly.

I actually wanted to switch from Premiere to Resolve, even cut this project already in Resolve, but am forced to stay with Premiere after all because of this behavior. Not satisfactory...

Thanks,
André

editorAT

Re: Waveform/Audio Problem in Resolve with XAVC-Intra Files

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 8:38 am

Hm major problems with the software and no answers in the forum remindes me of adobe :lol:

RandyOK

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 2:39 pm

Just curious, Are you using the free version or Resolve Studio ?
DaVinci Resolve STUDIO 18.5.3
Puget Systems
Windows 10 Pro OS
i9 9940X CPU
Dual RTX 2080Ti GPUs
64GB RAM

editorAT

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am

It´s the paid Resolve Studio version. Still not working.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 11:55 am

If you place a sample of that footage on your internal SSD, does it play fine with audio? I can't recall where the waveforms are created but it could be in the cache which should be located on a fast local drive, not on the NAS (for course, Resolve will access the NAS while creating the waveforms which is probably what you are seeing). Also, confirm that your local SSD is being used for the cache and that it has loads of space available - if the cache location runs low on space, Resolve will behave poorly (including crashing).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve