Mac Studio M1 Ultra easyDCP plugin problem

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kriss Rozins

Mac Studio M1 Ultra easyDCP plugin problem

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 5:35 pm

Hello!

Anyone using Mac Studio M1 Ultra here for rendering DCPs with Resolve easyDCP plugin?

I've been using easyDCP Resolve plugin for many years and it has always worked beautifully, until now, when I upgraded to Mac Studio M1 Ultra (maxed-out version) with the latest version of Mac OS Monterey (v12.5.1). Tried two versions of Resolve Studio - v17.4.6 and v18.0.1 and both stop the easyDCP plugin rendering process at around ~99% (which is when the DCP XMLs are usually generated) and just freezes. The system is still responsive (it is not a complete system crash), but the renders never finish and I have to force quit Resolve. The resulting DCP is always a folder with just audio and video MXF files (not sure if they are finished) but without any XMLs that should be there. All other output formats work fine, so looks like this is specifically an easyDCP plugin problem.

The easyDCP plugin is licensed and activated, of course.

Anyone else experencing similar behaviour with easyDCP plugin on the new Apple Silicon systems?

Previously I used Resolve v17.4.1 on a Mac Pro Trashcan running Mac OS X Catalina and this setup worked without any issues.

Thanks!

Lucius Snow

Re: Mac Studio M1 Ultra easyDCP plugin problem

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi,

At 99%, there is the SHA checksum calculation. It takes some time, especially if you don't have a SSD. You should wait more maybe...

Kriss Rozins

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 7:18 pm

Hi Lucius,

Thanks for replying!

I've been waiting for tens of minutes and tried rendering DCPs to both internal SSD (which is very fast) and a fast Thunderbolt external RAID array (capable of ~1000 MB/s read or write). Even for very short clips that should produce a ~1-2 GB sized DCP (and SHA checksums should generate within seconds), the waiting time at 99% is neverending. For longer (1 hour+) DCPs I usually expect it to take 3-5 mins. Since I've been using easyDCP for several years, I know how long it usually takes to finialize a DCP and generate the XMLs once the render of video and audio is finished, and there clearly is a problem with the few latest versions of Resolve Studio and Mac Studio computer (or possibly all Apple Silcon computers).

I haven't tried older versions of Resolve (e.g. 17.4.1 etc.) on my Mac Studio though.

Sam Steti

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 7:52 pm

Kriss Rozins wrote:I haven't tried older versions of Resolve (e.g. 17.4.1 etc.) on my Mac Studio though.
... and unfortunately* this is what you should try to divide and conquer the overall investigation
*obviously it might be very time consuming and upsetting but...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Kriss Rozins

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:16 pm

Sam,

You're right about that, of course.
I will try older versions, as there isn't much else I can do to get the easyDCP plugin working properly at the moment anyway.

The reason of creating this tread is not only to share my experience and get some advice from other Resolve users, but also to get the attention of Blackmagic Design folks so they know there is a potential problem with the latest releases of their software ;)

Lucius Snow

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 8:43 pm

It's definitely a bug then.

pvillow

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 9:52 am

Unfortunately easydcp plugin for DaVinci Resolve doesn't support Apple Silicon processor. I've confirmed this with 3 different M1 machines (Mac Studio M1 Max, Ultra, Mac Mini M1). All failed to export DCP using the latest DR version 17.4.6 and 18.0.4

No news or update from both companies.
Mac Studio M1 Ultra
UltraStudio 4K Mini
DRS 18.6.5
macOS Monterey 12.7.3
www.vimeo.com/pvillow
www.posthouseindo.com

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:47 pm

Anybody tried DCP-o-Matic?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve