Resolve 18 suddenly crashing non-stop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AllanRickman21

Resolve 18 suddenly crashing non-stop

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi all,

I've been using Resolve for years without an issue. I am using 18 since release without any issues. A few days ago i was working on a shot project, containing 10 or so clips from a Canon C70, nothing too taxing.

The program crashed. Now every time I open resolve it takes forever to open any project, once it does, simply operations like clicking the home button on the bottom right causes a spinning beachball on my mac. Everything has become so slow.

I have a 14inch Macbook Pro M1 Max with 32 GB ram.
I have tried to uninstall and reinstall resolve.

Is it possible the save file from that video i was editing when the crash happened is what is causing this? Even if i open other projects the same lagging and constant crashing is happening. I even tried downgrading back to resolve 18 and the same thing. I have a lot of work to do and am really frustrated. Would appreciate any advice.

AllanRickman21

Re: Resolve 18 suddenly crashing non-stop

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 9:26 am

If anyone can tell me how to delete absolutely every file and not just the install file so I can do a fresh install of resolve that would be much appreciated.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 10:26 am

If the application crashes or hangs generate logs and post a link.

Instructions in the FAQ at the top of the forum: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190#16
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

AllanRickman21

PostWed Sep 07, 2022 10:56 am

Thank you. Will do this when I get home and report back.

AllanRickman21

PostSun Sep 11, 2022 8:28 pm

Hi all,

Please see the report below, any help at all would be appreciated. I am struggling to find out why all of a sudden i get beachball on start-up and usually need to click the project i want to open multiple times, then the program hangs, then beachball then it finally starts working and works well, but it is a good few minutes before i can get into it.

I also noticed Resolve keeps creating a folder in my Applications folder on my mac, often called "com.blackmagic-design.DaVinciResolve.savedState"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D7LybE ... sp=sharing

AllanRickman21

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 4:10 pm

Anyone?

I have to to stop using resolve or reinstall my OS.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 4:48 pm

Did you manually manipulate the DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220911-213757.zip file?

It's missing the LogArchive folder, which has the files we actually need to look at to see why it's crashing.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

AllanRickman21

PostMon Sep 12, 2022 4:56 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Did you manually manipulate the DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20220911-213757.zip file?

It's missing the LogArchive folder, which has the files we actually need to look at to see why it's crashing.

Hi, no i did not.

I got an email from BM to delve deeper into this. I will reply to them and follow up here for anyone in future who has the same issue one day.

D Lerrick

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 7:12 pm

Hey there,

I hope you got the issue solved somehow. I am in the exact same situation you described. Can you please let me know how this went on for you.

Many thanks,
Dave

AllanRickman21

PostThu Feb 09, 2023 10:15 am

I reached out to BM support and they had me delete a bunch of folders not just uninstall the program. It works fine again but we went forward and back a few days.

Paul Fisher

PostThu Aug 31, 2023 4:26 am

AllanRickman21 wrote:I reached out to BM support and they had me delete a bunch of folders not just uninstall the program. It works fine again but we went forward and back a few days.

like what kind of folders? how did you contact them?
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
4 TB internal SSD

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 31, 2023 4:34 pm

What is your issue Paul? If you are on Windows, send us the following:

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows Desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open the Windows System Information app and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here. Make sure the links don't require access credentials.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve