studio version. Shop wants to send sw licence through e-mail

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Giacomo Boselli

studio version. Shop wants to send sw licence through e-mail

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 1:37 pm

Hi, I am about to purchase the studio version (software licence - no dongle). This guy from the shop (in Italy- official reseller) was surprised that I actually wanted the package sent to my house even though I asked for the software license and not the dongle. He insist that every customer wants to receive only the activation code through e-mail because is faster and cheaper (which is true because of no need of express courier) so he told me that as soon as they receive the payment they open the packaging and send the code through e-mail... Is that a common thing? or is it Italian way? tbh does not seem a scam to me but still does not fell very safe.
I mean I am expecting a sealed blackmagic packaging with the activation code inside that needs to be scratched off and they say it is just a card that they toss as soon as they read the code and send it to customers.
Can someone please let me know what this software licence package for studio version looks like? Seems weird to me that it is just a card (because anyone could read it...) I am curios.
Thank you for your help

Giacomo
Resolve Studio 18.0.4
msi GF63 Thin 10SCXR / Win 10
Intel i7-10750H 6 Core CPU, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design, 4GB VRAM GDDR6

Dave Shortman

Re: studio version. Shop wants to send sw licence through e-

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 2:34 pm

I'm not into un-boxing videos but you can see here what you get in the Studio box if you order the serial number activation.

Ask them to send the photo of the card itself not just the number as if you ever need to prove you bought Davinci Resolve I think you are normally asked to produce evidence of the serial number (the card). I have the dongle version so I can't be 100% certain of this

mickspixels

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 3:15 pm

Why not buy direct from the BMD website? Or maybe it is cheaper to buy through a shop?

Nick2021

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 4:15 pm

If it's the dealer I'm thinking of I bought from them.

They email you the number. A few days later you receive the actual package.

My guess is something got lost in communications. The email just lets you start working right away while the courier comes from Bologna

Giacomo Boselli

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:13 pm

Nick2021 wrote:If it's the dealer I'm thinking of I bought from them.

My guess is something got lost in communications. The email just lets you start working right away while the courier comes from Bologna

Yep, it's them. Are you familiar with them? I talked to Giorgio on the phone, he doesn't seem very trustworthy. Probably Massimo would be a better choice to deal with but I only talked to him through e-mails.
Thanks for your answer
Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Giacomo Boselli

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:17 pm

mickspixels wrote:Why not buy direct from the BMD website? Or maybe it is cheaper to buy through a shop?

aren't they shipping from Australia? I live in Europe
Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Giacomo Boselli

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 6:23 pm

Dave Shortman wrote:I'm not into un-boxing videos but you can see here what you get in the Studio box if you order the serial number activation.

Ask them to send the photo of the card itself not just the number as if you ever need to prove you bought Davinci Resolve I think you are normally asked to produce evidence of the serial number (the card). I have the dongle version so I can't be 100% certain of this

Exactly what I was looking for. Fantastic!
Thank you!
I definetely want the package delivered to my door now.
Resolve Studio 18.0.4

mickspixels

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 pm

Giacomo Boselli wrote:
mickspixels wrote:Why not buy direct from the BMD website? Or maybe it is cheaper to buy through a shop?

You can buy online at the BMD site from Italy as well as several other European countries. You don't get anything physical, just an activation key and download from the site. I got mine from the UK. I don't know if it is cheaper to buy from a reseller or direct though.

jamedia

PostThu Sep 22, 2022 7:59 pm

mickspixels wrote:
Giacomo Boselli wrote:

You can buy online at the BMD site from Italy as well as several other European countries. You don't get anything physical, just an activation key and download from the site. I got mine from the UK. I don't know if it is cheaper to buy from a reseller or direct though.

In the UK I bought from a disti http://www.Proav.co.uk and got the package with the card and and the SW on an SD card. The advantage is you have the physical card. also if you take a picture of it you have proof you actually bought one. I don't think BMD have very good number tracking. However the Disti in the middle does and can also confirm they sold it to you.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Nick2021

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 2:40 am

Giacomo Boselli wrote:

Yep, it's them. Are you familiar with them? I talked to Giorgio on the phone, he doesn't seem very trustworthy. Probably Massimo would be a better choice to deal with but I only talked to him through e-mails.
Thanks for your answer

They're the only Blackmagic dealer in Italy unless that's changed. They're also Nikon Pro dealers. Red dealers. Canon pro dealers. Sony.

jamedia

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:19 pm

Nick2021 wrote:
Giacomo Boselli wrote:

Thanks for your answer

They're the only Blackmagic dealer in Italy unless that's changed. They're also Nikon Pro dealers. Red dealers. Canon pro dealers. Sony.

That would suggest they are very trustworthy!

Download the Free version of Resiolve and use that until the hard copy key arrives. Hough if it is only a few days you would be better to wait for the license and not installing the free version.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Giacomo Boselli

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:29 pm

mickspixels wrote:
Giacomo Boselli wrote:

I want to have the actual card, just in case.
Resolve Studio 18.0.4

jamedia

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 pm

Giacomo Boselli wrote:You can buy online at the BMD site from Italy as well as several other European countries. You don't get anything physical, just an activation key and download from the site. I got mine from the UK. I don't know if it is cheaper to buy from a reseller or direct though.

I want to have the actual card, just in case.[/quote]

100% agree. As I said when I bought from a UK distributor they sent me the physical package. IE the "brochure" and card as shown inthe video above. Then you have proof of ownership. Also it is far easier to recover from a computer crash especially if it takes out your emails. .
www.JAmedia.uk

Giacomo Boselli

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 12:38 pm

jamedia wrote:
Nick2021 wrote:
Giacomo Boselli wrote:

Thanks for your answer

That would suggest they are very trustworthy!

Download the Free version of Resiolve and use that until the hard copy key arrives. Hough if it is only a few days you would be better to wait for the license and not installing the free version.

I am sorry mate, I am trying but I can't wrap my head around this last message of yours...
Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Charles Bennett

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 2:21 pm

Some retailers will email you the activation code if you wish so you can get started straight away, and post you the actual card. If in doubt just wait for the card to arrive.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

mickspixels

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 2:22 pm

jamedia wrote:You can buy online at the BMD site from Italy as well as several other European countries. You don't get anything physical, just an activation key and download from the site. I got mine from the UK. I don't know if it is cheaper to buy from a reseller or direct though. I want to have the actual card, just in case

100% agree. As I said when I bought from a UK distributor they sent me the physical package. IE the "brochure" and card as shown inthe video above. Then you have proof of ownership. Also it is far easier to recover from a computer crash especially if it takes out your emails.

OK clear enough. Me, I don't understand the need for a physical object as proof of purchase in 2022. I would be much more likely to misplace a card than lose a file. I save the activation number in multiple places in text files with other important serial numbers, invoices and receipts etc in encrypted files. I have saved the original email from BMD as well. If I needed a physical manifestation I would just print it out. Incidentally Proav.co.uk don't have it in stock so there would definitely be a delay if ordering there. No worries. Each to his own.

jamedia

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 2:41 pm

mickspixels wrote:OK clear enough. Me, I don't understand the need for a physical object as proof of purchase in 2022. I would be much more likely to misplace a card than lose a file. I save the activation number in multiple places in text files with other important serial numbers, invoices and receipts etc in encrypted files. I have saved the original email from BMD as well. If I needed a physical manifestation I would just print it out. Incidentally Proav.co.uk don't have it in stock so there would definitely be a delay if ordering there. No worries. Each to his own.

I agree re needing physical object as proof of purchase these days.

Much of the Software my other company supplies (going back 20 years) However we do track all the numbers (including quote, PO and Invoice numbers along with serial numbers and license numbers) relating to the order along with the dates. As a distributor we also did the same with incoming stock. We could tie up the order/invoice and shipping from the manufacturer to our customer. Not everyone does this. It made it easy when sorting out problems.

I would also note that physical dongles have also been lost/damaged/died along with license cards etc. Though when the Sw had a dongle we also logged all the numbers on it. Not everyone does this.

It has meant that when customers had computer crashes (and in one case the vehicle with the equipment and Laptop and the one with the back up laptop with the back up licenses were damaged at the same time we could get replacement licenses and a download link out to them in about 10 minutes.

Our records are on a PC, backed up to a RAID6 server that is backed up to a RAID5 server somewhere else. We don't expect floods, fires or eathquakes where we are. Up untill yesterday when Putin got annoyed over Ukraine we didn't think nuclear fall out was a likely senario either : :D :(Slava Ukraine!)

Hopefully BMD and their distributors have an equally robust tracking system in place so should any one loose their computer/working spakce due to calamity they will re-supply a license.
www.JAmedia.uk

mickspixels

PostFri Sep 23, 2022 3:12 pm

jamedia wrote:

Our records are on a PC, backed up to a RAID6 server that is backed up to a RAID5 server somewhere else. We don't expect floods, fires or eathquakes where we are. Up untill yesterday when Putin got annoyed over Ukraine we didn't think nuclear fall out was a likely senario either : :D :(Slava Ukraine!)

I backed up many years worth of images as JPEGs to my web provider in California back in March for that very reason just to spread things out a bit. Not sure who or what would actually survive to see them though. I'm old enough to remember the Cuban missile crisis. This might be worse. Madness indeed. We can only hope thar sanity prevails.

Return to DaVinci Resolve