Dynamic Zoom doing funny things

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

John Whiteway

Dynamic Zoom doing funny things

PostSat Sep 24, 2022 7:42 pm

I've been switching back and forth between “playback/proxy mode/off” and “playback/proxy mode/half resolution”. In half resolution I don't have to worry about rendering clips that have gone through Fusion.

Initially when I'd click on Dynamic Zoom I'd see the red and green boxes small and sitting in the centre of the frame (see attached image). At that time I realized that this would only happen when I was in “proxy mode/half resolution”. I found that if I turned proxy off the squares would go back to where they usually are, and I could use Dynamic Zoom on a clip.

But over the past several days as my Timeline has grown larger that has changed. Now when I switch back to “proxy mode/off” the red and green boxes stay in the centre of the frame. If I pull them back to when they usually are and apply Dynamic Zoom the resulting image will be one quarter size and in the middle of the frame (see image attached).

Is there some setting somewhere that could fix this? Have I unwittingly changed some setting that is causing all this to happen? Is there a way to get Dynamic Zoom to work while I am in half resolution?

Thanks

John

16-9 BG - 1.jpeg
16-9 BG - 1.jpeg (256.81 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Attachments
16-9 BG - 2.jpeg
16-9 BG - 2.jpeg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 563 times
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Start up Disk MAC HD
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Storage MAC 2.12TB Fusion
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

John Whiteway

Re: Dynamic Zoom doing funny things

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:07 pm

Seems I've solved it. As I described, after turning proxy off the red and blue boxes would remain in the center of the frame and I could no longer used Dynamic Zoom. Seems there was some kind of computer glitch going on in Resolve. Rather than just turn off half resolution proxy I decided to go to quarter resolution first. When I did that the boxes became even smaller, but now when I turned proxy off I was back to where I should be, with Dynamic Zoom boxes in the right place and now I was able to use the app.

So in summary, Dynamic Zoom doesn't work in proxy mode, but will when you turn proxy off. To turn proxy off it seems you might first have to click on quarter resolution before selecting proxy off.

Strange.
MAC OS 10.12.6
IMac 5K 27 inch (2017)
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
Start up Disk MAC HD
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Storage MAC 2.12TB Fusion
External 3TB USB disk

Resolve 15.

Return to DaVinci Resolve