Inserting specific audio tracks to specific channels

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

HenryFisher

Inserting specific audio tracks to specific channels

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 9:08 am

Hey,

I just started playing around with Davinci Resolve. The thing where I get stuck is the inserting audio in the timeline. I can't seem to find anywhere how I can insert a specific track to a specific channel. When I do this in the cut page it will insert all the audio tracks on the timeline. and I have to go and delete the tracks I don't need in the edit page.

I work with videofiles with 8 tracks off audio, so this is really annoying. when I put B-roll over my first videotrack it imports the 8 tracks over the audiotracks off the first one. I tried to make a "source" timeline but as I understand you cannot make a source timeline and a timeline is always displayed in the program monitor.

I can edit with a timeline if I also load it in the source window and then switch between my 2 timelines. But the audio-routing is still not what I want.

Does anyone know a workaround or something I missed?

Thanks!

Andy Mees

Re: Inserting specific audio tracks to specific channels

PostSun Sep 25, 2022 11:05 am

HenryFisher wrote:I work with videofiles with 8 tracks off audio
Consider using the Clip Attributes window to patch only the needed audio tracks before you edit. For example, if I receive 8-channel media from a cameraperson and the audio I need is on channel 1 & 2 only, then I set the attributes accordingly... unpatched channels will be completely ignored.
HenryFisher wrote:when I put B-roll over my first videotrack it imports the 8 tracks over the audiotracks off the first one.
If you are working in the Cut Page, as noted in your post, then you can enable the Video Only edit mode to avoid adding audio when it isn't wanted.

HenryFisher

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 10:20 pm

Thanks for the fast responds!

But I do need all the audio tracks to chose from and I still wanna have the sound of my B-roll in the edit.
But thanks anyway :)

Jim Simon

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 4:39 pm

Track Destination Selection on the Edit page might be of some use here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

xunile

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 4:53 pm

I would suggest using the Edit page as well. Try adding a new blank Audio channel first before adding your B-Roll footage.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to DaVinci Resolve