Stabilization embedded to powergrades and raw settings

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

blackmagicdesigner

Stabilization embedded to powergrades and raw settings

PostMon Sep 26, 2022 10:41 pm

If you "apply grade" from one clip to another, if the clip had stabilization on it, it carries the exact same calculation over to the new clips. It doesn't make any sense, because every clip needs a different stabilization calculation.

This is particularly frustrating when the second clip already has stabilization, as it gets overwritten by the first clip's settings, and you have to take the time to stabilize every single clip all over again, which is a HUGE time waster.

Can we get a fix for this? This has been an issue for many years and BMD refuses to fix such a glaring flaw in DaVinci Resolve. It wastes a TON of time.

Before you say mark > keyframe timeline > color, you lose your raw settings carryover by doing that.

Stabilization settings are always unique to each clip. who the heck at BMD thought it would be a good idea for them to carry over to other clips just because a grade is carried over?

This needs to be solved immediately, it's been far too long.

mattfezz

Re: Stabilization embedded to powergrades and raw settings

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 12:16 am

when I turn on preserve input sizing the stabilisation doesn't copy across. Raw settings do though - Is that what you are after?
Last edited by mattfezz on Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Marc Wielage

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 12:32 am

Under the Mark menu, choose Keyframe Timeline Mode -> Color (not "All"), and it should just copy color only and not anything included in PTZR, including stabilization.

You may want to right-click in the Gallery page and choose Apply Grade Using -> No Keyframes and see if that sticks.

All of this is covered in the manual. I've been using Resolve since 2010, and we figured this out in a few days... 12 years ago.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

blackmagicdesigner

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 4:48 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Under the Mark menu, choose Keyframe Timeline Mode -> Color (not "All"), and it should just copy color only and not anything included in PTZR, including stabilization.

I already explicity covered this... Doing that makes it so the raw settings do not copy over, which sucks.

Marc Wielage wrote:You may want to right-click in the Gallery page and choose Apply Grade Using -> No Keyframes and see if that sticks.

I already have that checked, still doesn't do it.

Marc Wielage wrote:All of this is covered in the manual. I've been using Resolve since 2010, and we figured this out in a few days... 12 years ago.

There's no easy way to sift through the manual and search for a particular problem... If you could point me to where it shows this, that'd be great. And please, no need for snark, especially when you clearly didn't even read what I wrote, and your none of your solutions even work... It's just disrespectful.
Last edited by blackmagicdesigner on Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackmagicdesigner

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 5:14 am

mattfezz wrote:when I turn on preserve input sizing the stabilisation doesn't copy across. Raw settings do though - Is that what you are after?

Ah finally, a possible solution! This may just be exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. I hope this works and I can finally avoid all the headaches. Just to be clear, in order to do what you just described, how should my Mark > keyframe timeline setting be? ALL, or COLOR?

Return to DaVinci Resolve