Davinci Studio Performance - Help Needed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

martomasz

Davinci Studio Performance - Help Needed

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi, I am just rendering - exporting a 5 minutes video, which will take over an hour.
My PC is having a holiday - see screenshot. CPU, GPU, and RAM are resting, and I have to wait. Any idea? Thanks in advance!

Marc Wielage

Re: Davinci Studio Performance - Help Needed

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 8:33 am

What source format are you using? What format are you trying to render to? What are your timeline settings (frame rate, size, etc.)?

Resolve speed is almost always dependent on system power (CPU, RAM, GPU), I/O speed (drive speed and connection), and choice of source material codec. Drivers and OS can of course have an effect as well, as can timeline settings, timeline length, resolution, speed, render cache, and so on. External RAIDs with fast connections will yield better performance most of the time. Slowdowns can also occur due to highly-compressed codecs (like H.264/H.265), high frame rates, Fusion compositions, Magic Masks, OFX plug-ins, noise-reduction, or Optical Flow speed-changes that stress systems resources.

Jason Bowdach has more to say about Resolve performance in this article:

https://blog.frame.io/2020/02/24/davinc ... rformance/
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Charles Bennett

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 8:50 am

Free or Studio version of Resolve? On my system an 11 minute graded and upscaled to UHD 50fps video took 8.5 minutes to render in h264. That is of course using the Studio version with hardware acceleration.
Even without hardware acceleration an hour to render for a five minute video seems excessive.

My bad. I see you are using the Studio version. ;)
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

martomasz

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 4:10 pm

I'm rendering h265 to h264 full HD. The screenshot was taken during rendering, obviously Studio did not use my hardware effectively, as cpu, ram and gpu runs at low power. Hardware acceleration has been turned on.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 12:07 am

martomasz wrote:I'm rendering h265 to h264 full HD. The screenshot was taken during rendering, obviously Studio did not use my hardware effectively, as cpu, ram and gpu runs at low power. Hardware acceleration has been turned on.

Convert the H.265 to a simpler format like DNxHR HQ or HQX, and try rendering from that instead. H.264/H.265 are very demanding codecs that force the CPU to spend time decoding them before Resolve can process them. They're not a good format for post, for a lot of reasons.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

AnthonyReno

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 12:36 am

martomasz wrote:Hi, I am just rendering - exporting a 5 minutes video, which will take over an hour.
My PC is having a holiday - see screenshot. CPU, GPU, and RAM are resting, and I have to wait. Any idea? Thanks in advance!

I can see from the screenshot, you do not have an RTX GPU. So...you won't be getting any notable GPU acceleration. This will be excessively noticeable when rendering h.265 and h.264. h.265 is a beast to encode, and you are getting hit both ways (decoding the h.264 AND subsequently rendering to h.265). If you are going to be doing much of this, you will want to get your hands on an RTX GPU as soon as possible.

On a side note, this could change in the future, but as it stands currently, DR only leverages GPU acceleration with RTX GPUs...at least in any serious capacity.
DR & F Studio v18.1.1,Win11Pro, i9-13900K, 128GB RAM
GPUs:Intel UHD 770 & RTX 3090ti
Speed Editor, Pen:Huion Inspiroy Dial 2 & XPPen Artist 13.3 Pro, Elecom HUGE Trackball

Return to DaVinci Resolve