[Game Changer?] Toggle between two UI layouts in DR?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ironlion37

[Game Changer?] Toggle between two UI layouts in DR?

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:10 pm

I'd like to be able to quickly shift between having the viewport larger and having the timeline larger - using a keyboard shortcut. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Last edited by ironlion37 on Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Mees

Re: Is there a way to toggle between two UI layouts in DR?

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:14 pm

You can certainly save Layout Presets (in the Workspace menu) but you can't assign keyboard shortcuts to them ... though you could probably do so with a third party utility (like AutoHotKey).

ironlion37

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Ok, yes I see I can save the two layouts I want, but the only way to trigger them within DR is to manually select and load them from the Workspace menu?

I'm on a Mac, so I can probably record those menu selections and then map them to keystrokes. But before I go to that trouble, there's no way to assign a keystroke in DR?

Thanks!

EDIT: Doesn't look like it. There is a "Workspace" section under Keyboard Customization but it doesn't dynamically load saved presets for keystroke assignment... :(

Andy Mees

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 9:24 pm

Yep, easy if you're on a Mac... for anyone unaware, you can add Davinci Resolve to the App Shortcuts in the macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts pane and then add a shortcut for any otherwise unmappable menu item eg for a Layout Preset you've called 'Viewport' then you would add Workspace->Layout Presets->Viewport->Load Preset (as Menu Title) and give it the shortcut of your choice... but do be aware that these OS defined shortcuts will override Resolves own app defined shortcuts, so be careful.

ironlion37

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 10:37 pm

Andy Mees wrote:Yep, easy if you're on a Mac... for anyone unaware, you can add Davinci Resolve to the App Shortcuts in the macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts pane and then add a shortcut for any otherwise unmappable menu item eg for a Layout Preset you've called 'Viewport' then you would add Workspace->Layout Presets->Viewport->Load Preset (as Menu Title) and give it the shortcut of your choice... but do be aware that these OS defined shortcuts will override Resolves own app defined shortcuts, so be careful.

WHooeee! Ask and ye shall receive. This is a big deal. I just mapped my two preferred layouts to F4 and F5 keys. Works awesome!

I'll probably refine it to have three settings: large video up top, large video editing area, and large audio area. All three at the touch of a button. Game changer.

ironlion37

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 10:42 pm

Ahh, only downside is Resolve won't recognize the divider between audio and video sections in the timeline on the audio page. I wanted to have a setting for "audio big" and "video big."

Still good to be able to toggle the timeline to a large size and back.

ironlion37

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 12:30 am

One more update on this: Resolve won't recognize the keyboard shortcuts generated by the Apple keyboard prefs unless the Workspace menu is first "activated" by hovering the mouse over it.

An annoying little bug which may prompt me to go with Automator instead.

[Edit]: Couldn't get automator to work, so I'm just using the method above. It's a bit buggy and I have to reinitialize it from time to time by loading a layout via the menu, then the keyboard shortcuts work again. It's worth it though as I'm constantly jumping between large timeline and large top section which reveals tool settings in the inspector...

ironlion37

PostSun Oct 09, 2022 2:28 am

Andy Mees wrote:Yep, easy if you're on a Mac... for anyone unaware, you can add Davinci Resolve to the App Shortcuts in the macOS System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts pane and then add a shortcut for any otherwise unmappable menu item eg for a Layout Preset you've called 'Viewport' then you would add Workspace->Layout Presets->Viewport->Load Preset (as Menu Title) and give it the shortcut of your choice... but do be aware that these OS defined shortcuts will override Resolves own app defined shortcuts, so be careful.

Andy, I have an issue where I've set up these shortcuts but they won't work in DR unless I first use the Workspace menu to load one of the presets by hand. Once I do that, the keyboard shortcuts start working, but not before. Any ideas on how to get them to work without that step?

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve