Fusion page keyframe stretcher and comp length

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TCP786

Fusion page keyframe stretcher and comp length

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 am

I'm a little confused with the source start/end parameters on the keyframe stretcher. I created a title effect with a beginning, middle, and end, which spanned frames 0-179 when I was finished. My default Fusion composition was longer than this, so I moved the yellow endpoint on the timeline back to frame 179. The title's length needs too be stretchable without changing the speed of beginning (frames 0-59) or end (135-179) of the animation, so I added a keyframe stretcher with the stretch start set to 60 and stretch end set to 134. I also set source start and end to 0 and 179, since that is the length of my Fusion composition.

This resulted in the title only playing the beginning and middle of the animation. After some poking around, I found that the number I needed to set the source end to was 732. Now that I've done this, it works as I thought it should have with source end at 179.

This seems to be related to the Fusion comp length. My media pool shows that the Fusion composition is indeed still 732 frames long (presumably the length it defaulted to), despite me thinking I had changed it.

Did I not change the length of the Fusion comp the correct way? Also, even if I had done that incorrectly, shouldn't it still have worked the same way with source end set to 179, essentially just ignoring the (empty) parts after that?

Olivier MATHIEU

Re: Fusion page keyframe stretcher and comp length

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 8:43 am

post your composition
I'll have a look
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

TCP786

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 8:58 am

Ah, false alarm. It just wasn't playing correctly at speed on the edit page, but it's correct when I render in place. Kind of annoying that it struggles with such simple things without rendering them, but I can live with that.

Olivier MATHIEU

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 am

I made a customised KeyframeStrecher
Code: Select all
{
   Tools = ordered() {
      KeyframeStretcher1_1 = KeyStretcher {
         CtrlWZoom = false,
         Inputs = {
            StretchStart = Input { Expression = "comp.RenderStart+UnStretchStart", },
            StretchEnd = Input { Expression = "comp.RenderEnd-UnStretchEnd", },
            SourceStart = Input { Expression = "comp.RenderStart", },
            SourceEnd = Input { Expression = "comp.RenderEnd", }
         },
         ViewInfo = OperatorInfo { Pos = { 880, 247.5 } },
         UserControls = ordered() { UnStretchStart = { INP_MaxAllowed = 1000000, INP_Integer = true, INPID_InputControl = "ScrewControl", INP_MaxScale = 100, INP_Default = 25, INP_MinScale = 0, INP_MinAllowed = 0, LINKID_DataType = "Number", ICS_ControlPage = "Keyframes", LINKS_Name = "UnStretch Start" }, NewControl = { INP_Integer = false, LINKS_Name = "New Control", LINKID_DataType = "Number", }, UnStretchEnd = { INP_Integer = true, INPID_InputControl = "ScrewControl", INP_MaxScale = 100, INP_Default = 25, INP_MinScale = 0, INP_MinAllowed = 0, LINKID_DataType = "Number", ICS_ControlPage = "Keyframes", LINKS_Name = "UnStretch End", }, SourceStart = { INP_MaxAllowed = 1000000, INP_Integer = false, ICS_ControlPage = "Keyframes", INP_MaxScale = 1, INP_Default = 0, INP_MinScale = 0, INP_MinAllowed = -1000000, LINKID_DataType = "Number", LINKS_Name = "Source Start" }, SourceEnd = { INP_MaxAllowed = 1000000, INP_Integer = false, ICS_ControlPage = "Keyframes", INP_MaxScale = 1, INP_Default = 120, INP_MinScale = 0, INP_MinAllowed = -1000000, LINKID_DataType = "Number", LINKS_Name = "Source End" } }
      }
   },
   ActiveTool = "KeyframeStretcher1_1"
}

Paste the code in the NodeGraph
Resolve Studio 18.6.x & Fusion Studio 18.6.x | MacOS 13.6.x | GUI : 3840 x 2160 | Ntw : 10Gb/s
MacbookPro M2 Max

Editor, Compositing Artist
Davinci Resolve & Fusion Certified Trainer

Return to DaVinci Resolve