Generate Proxy with Different Framerate

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

kortina

Generate Proxy with Different Framerate

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 2:30 pm

I have some .braw files that I shot at 48fps that I want to use in 23.976 fps.

The Blackmagic Proxy Generator doesn't seem to have a way to set the framerate of the Proxy file, and if I try to retime the proxy clip to 23.976 in a timeline, the clip goes red and says Media Offline.

Is there any way to generate a proxy with a different framerate from the source?

If not, is there a way to make a copy of the source braw file that drops frames to get to the desired framerate (and then I can just make a proxy of that too)?

GalinMcMahon

Re: Generate Proxy with Different Framerate

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 5:46 pm

I'd just drag all of the clips onto a timeline, go to deliver, and select 'Export individual clips' and set it to use the existing filename but put them into a 'Proxy' subfolder in the same folder as the original media. Of course set export to 23.976. That said, I'm not 100% sure these will act as proxies but I don't see why they wouldn't.

This will lose your RAW controls so I'd personally do a quick and ugly color grade first.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

kortina

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 5:50 pm

Hmm, yea, I don't love losing the RAW -- anyway to change one braw into another with a different framerate? I was looking at ffmpeg, but doesn't seem to work well with braw files

GalinMcMahon

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 9:24 pm

Unfortunately there isn't. I'm pretty sure it's because it's using sensor data and isn't just a container. Lowering the playback resolution and turning render cache off may help. Also, being multicam at a somewhat high framerate, there may just be too much data flowing for ideal playback even on your legit computer.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Jim Simon

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 9:37 pm

kortina wrote:Is there any way to generate a proxy with a different framerate from the source?
Try this:

From within Resolve, change the frame rate using Clip Attributes. Then create the Proxy.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

kortina

PostThu Sep 29, 2022 9:22 pm

@Jim - right clicking on the clip in the media pool and setting Clip Attributes › Video Frame Rate = 23.976 actually results in the "slow motion" playback when generating the proxy (as well as when the braw clip is in a Resolve timeline)

On the other hand, if I set the Clip Attributes › Video Frame Rate = 48 AND check "Drop alternate frame," I at least get the correct behavior in the Resolve timeline, but I still don't get a proxy with the correct behavior.

Still searching for a way to do this...

The thing I will try next is using Deliver to create a proxy with the correct behavior, naming it and placing it in the correct folder, and seeing if it gets recognized as a proxy. Obv more annoying than using proxy generator, but worth a shot...

kortina

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:27 pm

OK, this is very interesting.

I tried exporting a proxy media @ 23.976 fps with the correct filename and in the correct folder, and then tried right clicking on the braw clip in the Media Pool and doing Relink Proxy Media and selecting this mov.

And I got this error:

Invalid Proxy Selected
Please select a proxy clip with a matching framerate and
overlapping timecode with 'A001_03290652_C021.braw'.

When I used Clip Attributes for the braw clip in the Media Pool to set the braw framerate from 48fps to 23.976fps, I avoided this error, and then was able to add the proxy to the timeline, but then I had the same "slow motion" playback effect.

Going to try one more time delivering an mov at 48fps and see what happens....

kortina

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 4:35 pm

OK, oddly, I go this to work by doing the following

- ensure Clip Attributes for the braw file is set to 48fps in Media Pool
- create a new 48fps timeline
- put the braw clip into that timeline
- export an mov with the correct name / save to correct Proxy folder @ 48fps
- delete the braw file

The Proxy file plays back at the correct speed on a 23.976fps timeline in Resolve.

Really not sure why this was not the case when I used the Proxy Generator tool vs Deliver.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jim Simon

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 4:07 pm

kortina wrote:@Jim - right clicking on the clip in the media pool and setting Clip Attributes › Video Frame Rate = 23.976 actually results in the "slow motion" playback when generating the proxy (as well as when the braw clip is in a Resolve timeline)
Of course. That would be the only reason you change the frame rate (even with proxies). To change playback speed.

To play a 48 fps clip in real time in a 24 fps timeline, just drop it in. Resolve will automatically drop every other frame.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve