Why my media go offline each time? share projects PostgreSQL

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

magirouard

Why my media go offline each time? share projects PostgreSQL

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 5:10 pm

Hi,

at my job, we decide to start working with Davinci Resolve so we all have the license for Davinci Studio. And since many of us have to work in the same project on different computers, we are connected with PostgreSQL directly. It work perfectly and we are happy with it, unfortunately, when we open a project on a different computer all the media goes offline each time. We relinked it each time and it work, but is it normal? And is there a solution to stop this, because it's kind of annoying and it can take some time because we can have some big projects. All the media are on the server, nothing changes place or name. I look on ethernet but i didn't find anything with this specific subject.

Thank for helping me

Jim Simon

Re: Why my media go offline each time? share projects Postgr

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 4:05 pm

Is the media located on a server? Like the Database?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

magirouard

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 5:48 pm

The Database is on one computer that is always open and connected to the server. All the other computers are connected via postgrSQL to the first computer to access the projects.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:46 pm

If multiple computers are accessing a common project on the PostgreSQL server, then is the media for that project on common storage, like a SAN?

And if so, is the path to that common storage identical on all the systems? If not, then you'll need to set up proper path mapping to make that work. Else when one system relinks to the storage and saves the project, that will cause any other system with a different storage path to have the media go offline.

And are you using collaborative workflow with multiple systems accessing a common project at the same time? Or multiple systems are accessing a common project at different times?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

magirouard

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:40 pm

We are have commun storage connected by a NAS. The path is the same for everyone, no one touched it and supposed to touch it.

The footage is on a commun server, the computer where the database of Davinci is is always connected to it. All of the other computers (mac and pc) are connected to the server and they have the key and the adress IP of the computer where the database is. The key was create on the Davinci project server programme as indicate online, I follow instruction on video and on davinci support page.

Sometime we need to acces the same project at the same time, but most of the time we work on different project. when we do work on the same project, one of the two computer alway offlink the media. So we work in the same project only when it's a necessity.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 am

If you have Mac and PC's, the paths to the common storage cannot be the same for both.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve