Updated Training

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lohanbo

Updated Training

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 6:44 pm

Any plans for updating the training videos?
I am a Windows 10 user and I'm just giving up for today, in frustration, on the training for Editing. It is for a Mac environment, so I'm relegated to sort of guessing on what to do to recreate the tasks on my pc. It's critical for me because I've used DR Studio for about a year now and saving and storing completed projects, or archiving them, is becoming essential. I use multiple disks to accommodate the large storage required and there seems to be no guide as to the strategy of file location. I'm guessing this is a function of the Mac vs pc issue, and I'm also guessing you folks are in a Mac environment for the most part. But it is frustrating, and I am sure you would agree that understanding where files are stored, and why, is an important issue.
Archiving is not working for me on my pc. Maybe that is because of the upgrade to 18, I'm not sure.
Any helpful hints would be appreciated, and please excuse my venting.
And I am upgraded to DRStudio 18.0.4 Build 5.
John H.
Windows10 Pro
DRStudio 18.0.4 Build 5 AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
32.0 GB RAM Radeon RX 580 8GB RAM Driver V. 27.20.22001.14011
1TB SSD for OS,program files,2TB SSD project files,10TB HDD for "files"
14TB HDD

Charles Bennett

Re: Updated Training

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 7:26 pm

There are many, many of us running Windows. It's just that you will find the majority of professional users are using Macs. Resolve itself is no different on any of the platforms. The training videos and downloads are for Mac, Windows, and Linux. The operations for all are the same.
As to storage I have two internal SSDs, one for the system drive, which I also render to, and one to carry the video files of the current project I'm working on. For archiving the project and its media I use external spinners. I just save the media files and a .dra export in a named folder. I also archive final renders to a separate external spinner. HDDs are fine for archive use and much cheaper than SSDs. These are just my preferences though.
The free download books on the Training page are worth looking at. Though they are for version 17 the principals remain the same for 18.
Also don't forget the wealth of Knowledge available from forum members as well.
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Jim Simon

Re: Updated Training

PostSat Oct 01, 2022 9:09 pm

lohanbo wrote:guide as to the strategy of file location.
Here's what I do.

System
Databases
Export
Media
Gallery/Cache/Proxies

Plus, some sort of backup solution. (I use externals.)

The first two don't need to be that large, so SSD or NVMe are good choices. The latter three need a LOT more space, so very large spinners are still the best choice.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve