Image Wipe broken in multicam clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

analytik

Image Wipe broken in multicam clips

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 4:52 pm

Short version: Image wipes are oversaturated when editing MC. The same still plays correctly in a timeline with that same MC clip in it.

How to replicate:
1. Record 5TB of footage with up to 7 BMPCC cameras
2. Create a MC clip and painstakingly try to balance color from different cameras one by one
3. Take a still when editing MC clip
4. Play the still right away in the same MC clip -> displays wrong
5. Create a timeline with that MC clip
6. Play the same still in that timeline -> display correctly

Seems to be the same when using SDR vs HDR processing mode, WG Intermediate or Color Managed.

Is this a known issue, an issue specific to my system (win 10, radeon 6900 etc), or did I overlook some obvious setting?

analytik

Re: Image Wipe broken in multicam clips

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:58 am

This got fixed in 18.1 or 18.1.1, but only after I went back to the project settings, and switching back to Color Managed (which was the original setting where the bug started showing, just to be clear).

analytik

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 3:07 pm

Actually, I take that back. The bug is still there, but only in HDR mode. Left and right are the same clip, same grade.
1811MC still bad image wipe.jpg
Resolve 18.1.1 Windows 10 x64 Radeon 6900XT, Pro drivers Q4.22
1811MC still bad image wipe.jpg (990.68 KiB) Viewed 704 times

Steve Alexander

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 3:24 pm

I can confirm this bug. Here's what I did (with Resolve Color Management enabled, DWG intermediate timeline):

1. Create multicam clip
2. Add to timeline and make a few angle edits to break it up
3. Go to color page and grab a still for one of the angles
4. Return to edit page and 'Open in timeline'
5. Return to the color page and perform a wipe against the still from step 3
6. It looks as though the still is in a different color space (saturation and luminance through the roof)

My source media was CLog3/cinema gamut UHD 10-bit 4:2:2 but I suspect that does not make a difference. I wonder what color space Resolve is treating the application of the still in the wipe view? Color picker values confirm shift in luminance, btw.

It should be noted that you can grab the still within the 'Open in timeline' and see the same effect (i.e., the still is incorrect there as well).
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

mrdeebee

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 12:30 am

Yep, exactly the same behaviour I am seeing - anyone with any ideas on a fix?
DaVinci Resolve Studio v18.6.3 BUILD 19

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 3:40 am

analytik wrote:Short version: Image wipes are oversaturated when editing MC. The same still plays correctly in a timeline with that same MC clip in it

My opinion: I question the workflow. Don't try to color-correct anything until the project is locked. Don't try to color-correct with multicam clips. Wait until the edit is done, then flatten the timeline, and THEN move on to color correct the final show. Don't try to rush the process.

It's perfectly fine to apply a "temp look" to the whole show, and one assumes normal color management would work just fine. Once the edit is completely done, then you can worry about color (and VFX and titles and the sound mix and all that).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Jim Simon

PostMon Nov 13, 2023 3:36 pm

My thinking is along the same line as Marc's.

Use Color Management with Log footage.
Edit first, Color later.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CraftyClown

PostMon Jan 01, 2024 4:45 pm

I have to say this is a very frustrating bug and I'm rather surprised it's never been addressed.

I appreciate that an ideal workflow would involve all grading being done after an edit has been locked but sadly that isn't a way we are able to work on all of our projects

I currently have a scenario where I'm producing an EPK for a feature and I've been asked to share a 'finished looking' product with the cast, despite the producers and director still making edit amends. All the interviews were shot on different cameras and need some work to match, but as I've edited in multicam I can't use image wipe as the function is broken in this mode

Very, very annoying!
Resolve studio 18.5
Mac mini M1
MacBook Pro M1
iPad Pro M2

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 8:11 pm

CraftyClown wrote:All the interviews were shot on different cameras and need some work to match,
That's where this comes in real handy. ;)

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

CraftyClown

PostTue Jan 02, 2024 10:03 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
CraftyClown wrote:All the interviews were shot on different cameras and need some work to match,
That's where this comes in real handy. ;)

Hi Jim, I use colour management but it isn't a magic bullet and doesn't account for cameras that aren't properly white balanced, exposed the same or have custom profiles etc. There is always some work to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Resolve studio 18.5
Mac mini M1
MacBook Pro M1
iPad Pro M2

Return to DaVinci Resolve