Timeline and clips not loading

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

hallo545401

Timeline and clips not loading

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Hello there,
I haven't used Resolve for a while, but recently did again and in the same turn updated to version 18.
In version 16 I haven't had any problems. After I created my project in 18, I dragged in a couple of clips and started cutting in the editor.
About 10 minutes after starting, the viewer froze and new clips I used (from the media pool) didn't show the preview in the timeline, nor in the second viewer or in the media pool itself. The preview in the timeline of parts that weren't cached also stopped loading. I never had a crash though.

I then restarted resolve and tried again. After another 10 minutes the same thing happened again. My Cpu, Ram and Gpu are not occupied, and there is enough disk space left (more than 100 gigs).

I had problems with my Amd Radeon 5700xt before, so I decided to check amd's issue page. On my version(.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-8-1), it had a bug (DaVinci Resolve™ Studio 17 may crash using AMD encoder on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Graphics.), so I updated to the newest version 9.2, the issue was apparently fixed in 8.2 (amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-22-8-1). I then tried ddu and a clean reinstall of the drivers but nothing changed.

My system info:
R7 2700x, rx 5700xt, 32gb gskill 3200mhz, 1tb samsung 980 pro, asus crosshair viii wifi x570
The Cpu and gpu are on the newest driver version.
Is there anything I might be doing wrong, or is the problem on BMG or AMD's side?
Thanks for any help

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Timeline and clips not loading

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 pm

In a File Explorer window, go to:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

and run CaptureLogs

This will place a Resolve log file named similar to this on your Windows desktop: DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20181228_140434.zip (You may not see the .zip extension if your system is set to hide known extensions).

Then open Windows System Information and do a File - Save (Not a File Export), which will generate a .NFO file.

Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

If you are a new Forum user, you may not be allowed to post URLs. If this happens, just put a space near the front of the URL, so the system doesn't think it's a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

hallo545401

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 6:46 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Place both those files on a file sharing site and provide links to the files here.

Here you go:
https://workupload.com/file/CfhjS8n7W6q

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 7:12 pm

You have the AMD Adrenaline 22.9.2 Optional driver installed.

You could try the current 22.10.1 Optional driver and see what it does.

But I would suggest you try the 22.8.2 Optional driver, as it's been reported to work. And when you run the driver installer, select the Clean install option.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

hallo545401

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 4:59 pm

But I would suggest you try the 22.8.2 Optional driver, as it's been reported to work.

It didn't. I also tried it with 22.10.1, but same result. I was able to lend a 2080 from a friend and it works without any problems.

Still, thanks for your help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve