Resolve Mini Panel Exclamation Marks in Device Manager

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

smorstudios

Resolve Mini Panel Exclamation Marks in Device Manager

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 1:06 am

I updated to the latest version of Resolve 18 and for some reason my mini panel will not recognize at all. I tried to use the Control Panel app and it says No Control Panel Found. I'm running through usb-c and I have the latest Nvidia drivers as well.

When I double click the panel devices under device manager i get the option to UPDATE driver, DISABLE OR UNINSTALL device. I have tried to uninstall device, nothing. Disable device that does nothing. After those i scanned for hardware changes hoping it would check and automatically install, nothing. Update driver lets me pick a folder to look for the drivers but when i try to route the folder to look in the Program Files (x86) directory is says nothing can be found.

I tried to route it to the system32 directory, still nothing. Even trying to open Resolve and going to the help tab to open control panel setup from there, the app doesn't even open that way. I have to manually go to the folder and open.

Is there a way to download the drivers manually? I have did a clean install over 5 times hoping to see the control panels option popup when installing but i only get the resolve 18 option. No keyboard or panels option anymore. I really the panel to be recognized. I'm looking very bad to clients right now.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Mini Panel Exclamation Marks in Device Manager

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 4:29 pm

Go into Windows Settings - Apps & features and select DaVinci Resolve Control Panels, then select Uninstall.

Now run the DaVinci Resolve installer. It should have the option to install the control panels checked. Let it install the control panels.

Now does the control panel app see the Mini panel?

If not, from the Resolve app, select the Resolve Help menu, the select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop".

Then open the Windows System Information application. Select its File menu, then select Save. That will create a .NFO file. Put the .NFO file and the Resolve diagnostics log on a file sharing site and provide a link to the files. Since you are a new Forum user, it may not allow you to post a URL. If that happens. just put a space near the front of the URL, so the forum system doesn't see it as a URL.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

smorstudios

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:14 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Go into Windows Settings - Apps & features and select DaVinci Resolve Control Panels, then select Uninstall.

Now run the DaVinci Resolve installer. It should have the option to install the control panels checked. Let it install the control panels.

Now does the control panel app see the Mini panel?

If not, from the Resolve app, select the Resolve Help menu, the select "Create Diagnostics Log on Desktop".

Then open the Windows System Information application. Select its File menu, then select Save. That will create a .NFO file. Put the .NFO file and the Resolve diagnostics log on a file sharing site and provide a link to the files. Since you are a new Forum user, it may not allow you to post a URL. If that happens. just put a space near the front of the URL, so the forum system doesn't see it as a URL.

Thanks. I reinstalled and the only other option i got this time was the Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility. After installation, went back to device manager and saw the unit is still there with 2 exclamation marks. Opened Resolve still didnt see the unit. I chose it in preferences also. If i went to device manager and updated the drivers through the "manually let me pick driver option", it lets me search for the drivers but will it be the same driver location chosen twice for the unit? Or two seperate drivers? I ask because in the Program(x86)\Blackmagic Design location theres a "driverusb" folder in there that has .sys, .cat, and .inf files in it.

Also here are the files you asked for. (I removed the www part, the dot after dropbox, and added a space after sh and /
dropbox com/sh/ 3hdsi2dilssacrm/ AABjwH_Jkrvmltzma9xQiPtMa?dl=0

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:31 pm

You mentioned you tried to do a clean install. Do you have any Resolve projects on this system you care about, or can we do a complete clean Resolve install, which would remove all Resolve user and project data?
Dwaine Maggart

smorstudios

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 2:38 am

I have removed and backed up all the projects. I dont have anymore projects on the computer now. I just wanna get it back to how it was hopefully even better.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:57 am

OK, lets do a complete clean install of Resolve.

Uninstall Resolve using the Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features.

In the Programs and Features panel, right click DaVinci Resolve and select Uninstall.

Also uninstall these other Resolve related apps:

Blackmagic RAW Common Components
DaVinci Resolve Control Panels
DaVinci Resolve Keyboards
Any Fairlight related apps

Don't uninstall DaVinci Resolve Project Server, if it's installed.
Don't uninstall PostgreSQL 9.5, if it's installed.

After Uninstalling Resolve, in File Explorer, check that the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder has been removed. If the DaVinci Resolve folder still exists, delete it.

For the next steps, you need to make sure you can see hidden files/folders in File Explorer.

Open File Explorer Options and in the File Explorer Options window, select the View tab and in the Hidden files and folders area, select:

"Show hidden files, folders and drives".

Also uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"

In File Explorer, go to folder C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design

Rename the DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bak

In File Explorer, go to folder C:\Users\neg7s\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design

Rename the DaVinci Resolve folder to DaVinci Resolve.bak

Now run the Resolve 18.0.4 Studio installer. Install the DaVinci Control Panels, Blackmagic Raw Player and DaVinci Resolve 18.0.4 app. Those apps should be checked. Don't install the Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility.

Launch Resolve. What you should see is the onboarding video. Watch or skip that and do the Quick Setup.

Now Resolve should launch. Start a new project. Load some media, or make a timeline with a test generator turned into a compound clip. On the Color page, select the Help menu, DaVinci Control Panels Setup.

Hopefully the DaVinci Control Panels Setup app opens and you see your Mini panel.

If not, generate a Resolve diagnostics log from the Help menu, and send that and another Windows System Info .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart

smorstudios

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 11:27 am

I did the uninstall of resolve, and the raw common components but didn't see the resolve control panel or resolve keyboards apps to uninstall. I deleted the folders, renamed the other folders to ".bak" and something different happened when trying to reinstall. Instead of just Resolve 18.0.4.0005 as the only option, I got the options to install the RAW player and Fairlight Audio Accelerator Utility... But NO Keyboard or Panel option. That's what I've been trying to make popup the past 3 days. Those 2 options. I tried to see if I had any leftover files in the registry and all. I didn't try to reinstall resolve again because every time I try without the options to install the panel or keyboard, the Panel's drivers never install anyway.. I'm so lost

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:30 pm

OK then, do this:

Download and run this Microsoft FixIt app:

https://bit.ly/2ViOQNj

Run the app, It will do a detecting problems step. If that doesn't find anything, and it normally doesn't, then it asks if you have a problem installing or uninstalling an app. Select Uninstalling.

It will provide a list of apps. Hopefully you'll see DaVinci Resolve Control Panels in the list. If so, select that, then Next. Then select "Yes, try uninstall".

If it does find and uninstall DaVinci Resolve Control Panels, then run the Resolve installer again, and it should show the option to install DaVinci Resolve Control Panels.

Let me know how that goes.
Dwaine Maggart

smorstudios

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 6:47 pm

OK!!! So I tried the last steps with the Microsoft Fix It Tool you shared and it didn't find the panel software. It only found "Blackmagic Camera Utility. It did however make me think about where the software could be hiding. So I extracted the Resolve 18 file and tried to see if there was a .msi for the panel inside. Couldn't find it, so I went to the website and searched for which Davinci introduced support for the panel. I took a shot in the dark and downloaded the 12.5.5 resolve file, just to see if the panel option would show up if I tried to "install". When I attempted to install it just to see, the panel option popped up but it was already checked and said (Installed) so I couldn't do anything. Next step is what did the trick. I extracted the 12.5.5 file and the .msi Installer for the Davinci Control Panel was the only installer that came out of it. It let me install the old version of Davinci Control Panel and asked me to "Trust" or "Don't Trust" the drivers again. Once that was installed I saw the control panel software in the Blackmagic folder again but it looked old lol. I went back to the new 18 update to Install Resolve this time and the check option appeared again for the panel basically to update it, along with the other options as well. It let me install it, had to restart the computer and do the whole quick setup again. Went to preferences and selected the panel, closed it out and reopened it. THEN IT WORKED!! Finally!! Even though the steps you gave me didn't initially fix the problem it lead me to search for something that may help others along the way.. Thanks so much for everything. Maybe those small installers should be on the website somewhere just in case someone needs to install only those components.

jjthepostco

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 8:53 am

Hi there,

My mini Panel doesnt want to pick up in resolve after updating to 18.0.4. Davinci Resolve Control Panels pick it up, and I have set in Resolve to use the mini panel USB, and nothing.

I have tried all the steps above and it still wont connect in resolve. Any insight is welcome.

Thanks

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:37 pm

In Resolve Preferences - System - Control Panels, verify that you have DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel (USB) selected.

Assuming that is selected, open Windows Task manager, and select the Processes tab.

With Resolve running, select DaVinci Resolve and click the expand arrow to see the sub processes under DaVinci Resolve. You should see a DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe process. If you don't see that process, the Resolve app can't talk to the Mini panel.

The main reason for that process not to be running, assuming Mini (USB) is selected in Preferences, would be an AntiVirus/Malware app falsely detecting it as a virus/malware and preventing it from running. We know that Avast program version: 22.9.6034 will do this. In that case tell the AV/malware app that DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe is not a virus/malware.
Dwaine Maggart

jjthepostco

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 7:25 am

That seems to be the case. However, I cant find it in blocked apps on AVG, or even find the daemon.exe file to try and access it that way?

jjthepostco

PostTue Oct 11, 2022 8:22 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In Resolve Preferences - System - Control Panels, verify that you have DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel (USB) selected.

Assuming that is selected, open Windows Task manager, and select the Processes tab.

With Resolve running, select DaVinci Resolve and click the expand arrow to see the sub processes under DaVinci Resolve. You should see a DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe process. If you don't see that process, the Resolve app can't talk to the Mini panel.

The main reason for that process not to be running, assuming Mini (USB) is selected in Preferences, would be an AntiVirus/Malware app falsely detecting it as a virus/malware and preventing it from running. We know that Avast program version: 22.9.6034 will do this. In that case tell the AV/malware app that DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe is not a virus/malware.

I have even uninstalled my AVG and it still doesn't open up that daemon.exe?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 12, 2022 8:26 pm

In Windows Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

And double left click DaVinciPanelDaemon to run it.

It should open a black Console window that looks like the screen shot below. Does it do that?

DaVinciPanelDaemon_Console_Window.png
DaVinciPanelDaemon_Console_Window.png (13.43 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Dwaine Maggart

Marc Wielage

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 12:42 am

Dwaine has the patience of Job <from the Bible>. I salute you, sir.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

jjthepostco

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 8:49 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:In Windows Explorer, go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve

And double left click DaVinciPanelDaemon to run it.

It should open a black Console window that looks like the screen shot below. Does it do that?

The attachment DaVinciPanelDaemon_Console_Window.png is no longer available

Thank you for that. I have looked there, but it only has the remote panel exe files, not the local ones.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-13 104818.png
Screenshot 2022-10-13 104818.png (58.21 KiB) Viewed 970 times

Jodv123

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 9:36 am

I have the same problem with Mini panel not connecting in Resolve 18.0.4 and MacOs 12.6. If I go back to 18.0.3 it works without any problem.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 13, 2022 4:18 pm

Not having that file would certainly prevent the panel from working.

Not sure why the file would be missing, unless something like your AV app deleted it.

Attached is a zipped version of the 18.0.4 version of the file.

I posted this message a few minutes ago with an incorrect version of the file (from 18.0.2) and I deleted that post (only way to make that attachment go away). If you were fast enough to get that attachment, apologies. Use this attachment instead.

Unzip this attached file and copy the unzipped DaVinciPanelDaemon.exe file into the C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve folder.
Attachments
DaVinciPanelDaemon.zip
(349.35 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Dwaine Maggart

Blaise Jadoul

PostSun Oct 16, 2022 5:11 am

Jodv123 wrote:I have the same problem with Mini panel not connecting in Resolve 18.0.4 and MacOs 12.6. If I go back to 18.0.3 it works without any problem.

Same for me...
Any solution BM?

Blaise Jadoul

PostSun Oct 16, 2022 6:48 am

Blaise Jadoul wrote:
Jodv123 wrote:I have the same problem with Mini panel not connecting in Resolve 18.0.4 and MacOs 12.6. If I go back to 18.0.3 it works without any problem.

Same for me...
Any solution BM?

Actually it works perfectly well after updating the Mini Panel ;-)

Return to DaVinci Resolve