Vertical video editing issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Karolis Sipavicius

Vertical video editing issue

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:30 am

Hey guys,

I am editing a video version for socials. I created a new timeline with 1080x1920 resolution, adjusted the video clips to "fit" but when I need to add logos, I have a problem moving .png file to the bottom of the video. It seems stuck in 16x9 format and does not let me move it lower. It is the same through inspector or through free transform.

Any solutions to this?

Davinci 18.0.3 build 5 on Macbook.
MacBook Pro M1 Pro 16GB 10 core
macOS Sonoma V14.0
Resolve Studio18.6

Andy Mees

Re: Vertical video editing issue

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:50 am

I can't replicate this exact problem with my own quick test elements here, but my guess is the resolution of the elements you are using have caused you to hit the 4x timeline resolution value limits in the Position controls. You can use the Transform OFX filter to work around this and position your element however you need (or use elements that are sized to circumvent the issue).

For my part, I created a 1080x1920 timeline, I added a 1920x1080 clip and set Scaling to Fit. I then added a 166x232 Logo in PNG format on an upper track, set its Scaling to Crop, and moved it into a lower left position using its Transform 'Position' controls... which, for my elements, equated to -2500 (X) and -6600 (Y) neither of which exceeded those 4x limits.

Return to DaVinci Resolve