my observations - PostgreSQL for Resolve17 and 18

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bob Zelin

my observations - PostgreSQL for Resolve17 and 18

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:07 pm

Hi -
this is just my observations, based on numerous phone calls I have received recently. The people that read this forum, read about Resolve 18, and read the release notes. But that is not what happens to countless users out there.

I have setup both PostgreSQL 9.5.4 on QNAP Systems, and on dedicated Mac computers using Project Server 17. It is really amazing to me that almost NO ONE backs up their databases. And now when people eventually upgrade to Resolve 18, they think nothing about Project Server 18, or having to upgrade the PostgreSQL from 9.5.4 to 13. They just try to continue to work, nothing works, and they panic. And when they call and I ask, where are you backing up your databases" - they are NOT backing up their databases.

So I have to go thru the process of having them reinstall Resolve 17, backing up the databases, and then either installing Project Server 18.0.2 on a Mac, or updating The QNAP to PostgreSQL 13, restoring the database, and then updating the database within that.

All of this made it clear to me, why Blackmagic has tried to make the Cloud Store "mindless" - where its "plug and play" - no matter what the limitations are.

Bob
Bob Zelin
bobzelin@icloud.com
www.bobzelin.com

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: my observations - PostgreSQL for Resolve17 and 18

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 12:30 am

Hi Bob,

Interesting comments. I would note that Resolve 18 and Project Server 18 should work fine with PostgreSQL 9.5.4, so not sure why there should be any issues with that?

There were some issues for people with Linux PostgreSQL 9.2 servers when 18 first came out, in that 18.0 and 18.0.1 could not properly Upgrade Resolve 17 databases to 18, on PostgreSQL 9.2 systems. Fortunately that was addressed in 18.0.2.

What specific issues have you seen that would require anyone to upgrade from PostgreSQL 9.5.4 to 13?

While it's true that a Resolve Project Server 18.x install on a system that doesn't have PostgreSQL installed, will install PostgreSQL 13.4, if the system already has 9.5.4 (Windows) or 9.5.19 (Mac) Project Server 18 is fine with that.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve