Weird red pixels after color grading

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mc_meim1988

Weird red pixels after color grading

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 6:45 am

Hey guys
After finishing my short film, I gave the film to my colorist so he can grade it.
He finished it after a while, and gave me back the Resolve project(which was set up on an external HDD).

When I opened it, I saw that two of the shots had these weird red pixels -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dPS2Ft ... sp=sharing

I looked at the color nodes to figure which part of them was the problematic one, and I saw that each one of the bad shots, had an "HDR GRADE" correction that the only thing that was changed in it was the PIVOT which was on 6.000.
When I turned it back to 0.000, the image looked fine -
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VVcizP ... sp=sharing

The thing is that my colorist says its impossible that the image looked like that on his PC, and he suggested that maybe my laptop/GPU is faulty. I tried on another PC and the issue persisted.

I thought that maybe he did something wrong, but when I looked at the stills he grabbed in the gallery, their image looked fine, but when I tried to apply the grade from those stills, the red pixels showed up again..

As I said, I turned the pivot to 0.000 and now the red pixels are gone, but I thought that maybe you guys have some knowledge on this issue.
If it's a grading mistake(I.E the pivot turned up to 6.000) or if it's some kind of bug in Resolve, or maybe it's even related to the projects paths and save locations because the grab stills gallery was located on the colorist PC and NOT on the external HDD.

Just for the record - my colorist is a professional and does it for a living for years, and he swears it looked fine on his PC.

Will appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks a bunch!

Jim Simon

Re: Weird red pixels after color grading

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 2:43 pm

The viewer in Resolve is not sufficient for Quality Control. (Nor is any software.)

Do you have a Decklink (or similar) going to a calibrated HDR screen?

Have you exported the film and viewed it on a calibrated HDR screen?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve