BCC+Looks in a color managed workflow - anyone?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Steve Alexander

BCC+Looks in a color managed workflow - anyone?

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 1:07 pm

Wondering if anyone has experience using the latest BCC+Looks OFX plugin in a color managed workflow. In particular I'm trying this with DWG intermediate (timeline space) with CLog3 10-bit 4:2:2 footage from my R6.

Within the BCC+Looks editor the image is flat (so it appears that the plugin does not receive the final Rec709 output space, which is expected, however, there is no way to tell BCC+Looks that it is receiving the DWG timeline color space and gamma so it appears to mishandle the application of the look).

So first, I can't correctly preview the look within the BCC+Looks FX editor and then second, the result of the look is completely overdone because it is applied to the log footage which then goes through the transform.

I realize that I could use a couple of CST to switch from DWG to sRGB and then back to DWG with the looks filter sandwiched in-between but I thought I'd ask on this forum if anyone had practical experience with these BCC filters and could offer some words of wizdom?

TIA
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

shebbe

Re: BCC+Looks in a color managed workflow - anyone?

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 3:05 pm

Any plugin that you use will receive it's data from where ever it's coming from. So if you work in color managed DWG/Intermediate it will be that space if you put the node on your tree.
As you say, the plugin won't see anything that happens beyond it's point of processing but the BCC FX editor does allow for color management to be loaded via OCIO. What you could do is create a OCIO config with a LUT that converts DWG/Intermediate to sRGB and load that in so you have an output reference. If you don't really know how, an alternative would be to load an existing ACES OCIO config and use the ACES Rec.709 display view as reference. It won't be an exact match but at least close to.
https://github.com/AcademySoftwareFound ... tag/v0.3.0

Most of the looks will look overdone because most presets are likely based on Rec.709 imagery. You'll have to tweak them within the plugin with proper output view reference.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Steve Alexander

Re: BCC+Looks in a color managed workflow - anyone?

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:54 pm

Brilliant Shebbe, thanks so much for replying to this. I'll give the ACES OCIO config a try and see how it goes. I may also search for a way to load my own eventually. It's too bad that not all the FX editors in Resolve have the ability to load an OCIO config (eg the FX preview for many of the BCC effects doesn't appear to, but I believe Particle Illusion does and as you say, BCC+ FX editor does which is particularly important).

Cheers and thanks again,

Steve
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Return to DaVinci Resolve