Syncing multiple clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

lupusbalo

Syncing multiple clips

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm

I'm using DVR Studio 18.04 on a W10 PC (up to date)
I probably don't understand and/or misuse syncing in DVR from several years now (since V16 or something up to 18).

This usually ends 2 possible ways
- using another software where things are easier, simpler, and usable, but implies many time consuming operations to finally bring back images in DVR and finalize the video.
- sync manually where it's simple in DVR, but unable to use Multicam features thus requires cumbersome angle choosing management

A new case occurs last week and I decided to tackle the problem!
I shot a 2h30 show with 3 cameras (different manufacturers). 2 of them where running as long as possible, which gives 7 clips (stops occur to change batteries). Can't have a separate recorded audio this time, but audio is good on both cameras. 3rd one doesn't need sync (don't use audio)
Result will be very a basic video of the whole show (I don't want to spend hours and hours doing it).

what I'm trying to do in DVR (Clips have their correct CAM #/names):
1- using multicam clip
The 7 relevant clips being selected in Media tab, create multicam clip using sound.
Only 3 clips where synced, others failed to sync.
So unusable
2- In Cut tab using sync
Select 7 clips click the sync button using sound: same result
again unusable

====> I may be doing something wrong, or the audio levels are a problem, or there are TC in clips which override something, or there are "conditions" on the clips which are not met (I found nothing in the help file) ....... or .....??? <====

3- In this case syncing is very easy which I've done manually in less than 5'
BUT now?
How do I dynamically change cam angle?

I'd like to use some king of "multicam view" for several tracks (whatever synced status), but this not how it works!
In some editing software the sync process and the multicam view/select are distinct functions, why are they so highly tight in DVR?

Anyone clue?

Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Balorin

Return to DaVinci Resolve