Cannot get a clean alpha rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AnthonyReno

Cannot get a clean alpha rendering

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 4:54 pm

First, the screenshot...

AlphaProblem_fullscreen.JPG
AlphaProblem_fullscreen.JPG (691.09 KiB) Viewed 695 times

In the right viewer is the fusion comp. Very simple. Alpha background with an ellipse mask into protov2 with a simple normal merge on top of the background...all fed straight to the MediaOut1.

In the left viewer is the rendered result...of every alpha capable codec I know of (all the DNx options, and the cineform option).

Does anyone have any idea why DR refuses to render the video correctly?
DR & F Studio v18.1.1,Win11Pro, i9-13900K, 128GB RAM
GPUs:Intel UHD 770 & RTX 3090ti
Speed Editor, Pen:Huion Inspiroy Dial 2 & XPPen Artist 13.3 Pro, Elecom HUGE Trackball

bryantocara

Re: Cannot get a clean alpha rendering

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:35 pm

Are you forgetting to pre-divide/post-multiply? That could be the cause.

To be completely safe, and to use tools without risking forgetting which one had Pre-divide/Post-multiply checked turned on, manually insert an "alpha divide" node at the beginning of the flow, and then an "alpha multiply" at the end, before media out.

Sent from my motorola razr using Tapatalk

AnthonyReno

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:54 pm

bryantocara wrote:Are you forgetting to pre-divide/post-multiply? That could be the cause.

To be completely safe, and to use tools without risking forgetting which one had Pre-divide/Post-multiply checked turned on, manually insert an "alpha divide" node at the beginning of the flow, and then an "alpha multiply" at the end, before media out.

I opened up the protoV2 group node and dug around. There were several nodes with this option (some Brightness/Contrast, and a couple Tintensity). I switched it on in the Brightness/Contrast and attempted a render, but it had the same result. I cannot do this for the Tintensity nodes because it strips the coloration out of it. Any other ideas?
Speed Editor, Pen:Huion Inspiroy Dial 2 & XPPen Artist 13.3 Pro, Elecom HUGE Trackball

AnthonyReno

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 6:19 pm

Further info on this. First, the protoV2 node group exploded...

ProtoV2group.JPG
ProtoV2group.JPG (112.98 KiB) Viewed 393 times

So, I was talking with a guy over on the StirlingSupplyCo discord about this. It seems he is having similar issues with getting a clean overlay rendered with the protoV2. But, it isn't only the protoV2. He mentioned he was having the same issues with the glow and softglow nodes too.

I did check, and the glow nodes don't have a pre-divide/post-multiply option. At this point, I believe the glow nodes may be the offending nodes. The reason being, I deactivated the tintensity nodes and did a test render (just to check if they were the problem source), and the problem remained. Since the pre/post option has been enabled everywhere I can find it, and that guy was having the issue with glow and softglow... does anyone know how to get a good alpha render with the glow nodes?

bryantocara

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 6:55 pm

Leave all those boxes UNCHECKED and instead, perform the Pre-divide/Post-multiply operation manually to the entire tree by inserting those nodes I mentioned at the beginning and end of your flow. Just an idea, to create a sort of "safe-zone", which may or may not work

AnthonyReno

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 am

bryantocara wrote:Leave all those boxes UNCHECKED and instead, perform the Pre-divide/Post-multiply operation manually to the entire tree by inserting those nodes I mentioned at the beginning and end of your flow. Just an idea, to create a sort of "safe-zone", which may or may not work

Apparently, this method "fixes" whatever the glow nodes are having issues with. It's not perfect, but the glitches are happening in an area that is obscured from view...so it's good enough! Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve