Top-10 Insane flaws of the speed editor

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carl Jirestedt

Re: Top-10 Insane flaws of the speed editor

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 11:17 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Carl, now you are insulting with statements like "This way this change would not have to terrify you so much."
After 50+ years in professional audio for film and radio, plus being a lighting cameraman and editor in video, I can assure you nothing "terrifies" me. :D

I'm glad to hear that!
Since you avoid my questions I made that assumption/insult.

Carl Jirestedt

PostThu Nov 10, 2022 11:41 pm

jamedia wrote:
Michel Rabe wrote:........ I too observed some strange brand protectionism culture on these forums, especially from more active members. Not sure how that is beneficial to anyone.

The Speed Editor is great but there's no denying it could be much, much better with probably just rather simple firmware updates.

I agree 100% on both points.

The attitude of some of the more active members to the brand and their particular workflow discourages others. As does their attitude to any sort of user who is not in their group. It discourages many from participating here. This means the majority of Resolve users (and ATEM mini users) don't user the BMD forum.

As for the Speed Editor. A good product spoiled. It might have been designed for one use case but the serious design flaws ruin it for the majority. Illuminated full size QWERTY keyboards start at around $15 and in any case 4 of the SE keys already have LED's on them. Change them for bi-colour and you change colour for the active one.

As for the Nine multi cam keys.... these should be reprogrammable. It would be trivial for BMD to change the mapping with an app inside Resolve. That would not even need a firmware upgrade. Actually most of the updates people want could be done in Resolve rather than the SE.

The only thing that does need a FW upgrade is to have a permanent turn off/on of the blue tooth via the USB It is ludicrous and I think illegal in some places to have a transmitter running that you can't turn off. Not just on aircraft.

What you said about BT was interesting as it could be, if it is in fact true, the subject of legal action, and is therefore most likely the best argument for upgrading the speededitor - from BMD point of view.

Peter McLennan

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:39 am

Steve Alexander wrote: I'm actually surprised how much i enjoy using it, despite its shortcomings.

+1
Searching the timeline with the jog wheel beats the mouse hands-down.

Providing user programmable buttons would require, I think, an EEPROM in the hardware. It's not clear there is such a beast inside, nice as it would be to have one.
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Sean Nelson

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 8:25 am

Peter McLennan wrote:Providing user programmable buttons would require, I think, an EEPROM in the hardware. It's not clear there is such a beast inside, nice as it would be to have one.

Well, you can update the firmware so there's clearly programmable nonvolatile memory on board.

But even without that, you'd only need to store the customizations inside the keyboard if you wanted them to go along with the keyboard when you moved it from system to system. I think that's probably a very niche case, most people would be perfectly fine with the keyboard configuration being stored in the "System" or "User" preferences of Resolve itself so that it merely chooses to perform different actions when it receives input from the customized keys.
Last edited by Sean Nelson on Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Steve Alexander

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:04 pm

@Sean - you need to be a bit more careful with your quotes, mate - I said nothing about EEPROMs... lol
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Octavian Mot

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 1:39 pm

I heard someone say EEPROM and I'm thinking there must be a coder behind that...

I think I've mentioned it on another thread, but there are ways to remap the Speed Editor to key presses (or midi or turning off the garage light, if that's something you care about) via Python.

If anyone is interested, here's an example that I forked recently: https://github.com/octimot/blackmagic-speededitor

I'm not sure if this voids any warranties or upsets anyone as a matter of principle, so please use with care.
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

jamedia

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 2:51 pm

Octavian Mot wrote:I heard someone say EEPROM and I'm thinking there must be a coder behind that...

an OLD coder.... Flash came in about 25 years ago. Though I still have several eprom programers and a uV eraser. Though finding a PC with a parralell port on will be fun....

Octavian Mot wrote: I think I've mentioned it on another thread, but there are ways to remap the Speed Editor to key presses (or midi or turning off the garage light, if that's something you care about) via Python.
If anyone is interested, here's an example that I forked recently: https://github.com/octimot/blackmagic-speededitor
I'm not sure if this voids any warranties or upsets anyone as a matter of principle, so please use with care.

This is the point I have been making for ages. For most of the things people what the Speed Editor to do BMD can do a remap function in Resolve. No need to reprogram the SE firmware at all.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Carl Jirestedt

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 3:54 pm

It's time to put words into action.
Is it correct that no one here has any connection to BMD, no contact, no email or phone number?
And also, is it correct that BMD is not reading the forum, except for profanity moderation?

jamedia

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 4:02 pm

Carl Jirestedt wrote:It's time to put words into action.

That would be nice...

Carl Jirestedt wrote: Is it correct that no one here has any connection to BMD, no contact, no email or phone number?

I have no connection. I could probalby get email/phone to BMD UK but AFAIK it is just sales and distribution.

Carl Jirestedt wrote: And also, is it correct that BMD is not reading the forum, except for profanity moderation?

Not correct. We some times see some BMD people on here.
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

Peter McLennan

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 4:05 pm

Octavian Mot wrote:I heard someone say EEPROM and I'm thinking there must be a coder behind that...

That was me.

Sean is correct in that there must be some form of programmable memory aboard, but making it accessible to the user at the individual key level may be problematic.

Today's release offers an extensive list of Edit Page improvements for the Speed Editor. Bravo, BMD! They've not abandoned us Speed Editor lovers. :)
ASUS ROG X570-E motherboard, Ryzen 9 3900X, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD boot, 2TB NVMe work, Zotac RTX 3060 12 GB, Behrenger Uphoria UMC 404HD.

Sean Nelson

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 4:11 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:@Sean - you need to be a bit more careful with your quotes, mate - I said nothing about EEPROMs... lol

Whoops, sorry 'bout that! Fixed it.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Octavian Mot

Most likely less than 10 insane flaws after 18.1

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 4:25 pm

jamedia wrote:This is the point I have been making for ages. For most of the things people what the Speed Editor to do BMD can do a remap function in Resolve. No need to reprogram the SE firmware at all.

True, and I hope they will, but I'm sure they've got a huge pile of priorities before this and, honestly, in my opinion, if the user has no use for the product, they should probably not buy it...

Peter McLennan wrote:Today's release offers an extensive list of Edit Page improvements for the Speed Editor. Bravo, BMD! They've not abandoned us Speed Editor lovers.

I just tried it out and it works great!
Trying to keep it together at mots.us
Taming AI for filmmaking at StoryToolkit.ai

DejayC

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 3:38 am

jamedia wrote:The only thing that does need a FW upgrade is to have a permanent turn off/on of the blue tooth via the USB It is ludicrous and I think illegal in some places to have a transmitter running that you can't turn off. Not just on aircraft.
I found this thread while looking for instructions on how to power off the speed editor. I am absolutely incredulous that there's no way to turn off radio transmission when taking this thing on flights. I guess I will just need to order one speed editor for every place that I intend to use it, so as to not violate international passenger flight regulations.

With regards to BMD not making the keys customizable, even though it's easily within their power to do so; that's just BMD being BMD. They like to emulate Apple, by pretending that they are not competing with any other company in the world. Just like most BMD products, SE is quirky in a BMD-like way, and I don't foresee them ever changing that.

jamedia

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 am

Andy Mees wrote:but given the Speed Editor's price, perhaps an entirely new Speed Editor unit (v2), at some point, is more likely.

Sadly this seems more likely. The same was done with the ATEM Mini and all those who bought into it as early adopters were left high and dry.
BMD put out some hardware and after a few years of feedback form paying users drop the hardware in favour of a new version leaving all the original buyers without even a firmware upgrade.
www.JAmedia.uk

jamedia

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 am

A couple of months back I had a face to face meeting with a BMD support person and discussed the SE. Strangely all my points (most of which are what the majority were asking for here) were seen as sensible and logical.... They were all put in writing and the BMD person has sent them off to the developers with recommendations. So maybe you might seem them in V19.2
It was too late to have them in the V19 Beta and V19.1 will be urgent fixes so hopefully V19.2 for the end of 2024 or this time next year?
www.JAmedia.uk

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:19 am

I suspect people who are not directly involved in Resolve and the SE’s development will see most of these suggestions as reasonable.

But they’re not the ones who decide what gets done. That’s the people who made the original design decisions and I suspect they like their decisions just fine in most cases.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

jamedia

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 1:40 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:I suspect people who are not directly involved in Resolve and the SE’s development will see most of these suggestions as reasonable.

But they’re not the ones who decide what gets done. That’s the people who made the original design decisions and I suspect they like their decisions just fine in most cases.

I would not disagree with any of your comments.
www.JAmedia.uk
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve