How to duplicate node in Color Page?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

okiewardoyo

How to duplicate node in Color Page?

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 2:25 am

Dear all, how to duplicate the node in color page?
For now, to duplicate, usually i create a serial node or paralel node first, then ctrl+c / ctrl+v from source node to it.
Is there a way to duplicate it?
thanks.
How to duplicate.jpg
How to duplicate.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 9497 times
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

Resolve 19.0B Build 33 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

panos_mts

Re: How to duplicate node in Color Page?

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 7:53 am

You can use the node graph to duplicate a node but it's slower compared to copy/paste.
Right click on the clip -> Display Node Graph, drag the node you want to duplicate from the node graph to the connection line of your node tree.

Instead of Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V you can also hold the alt key and drag the node on top of some other node to copy its contents (or hold the ctrl key to swap the nodes).

okiewardoyo

PostWed Oct 26, 2022 9:40 am

Thanks so much panos,,,
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.

Resolve 19.0B Build 33 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

Blake76

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 9:23 pm

I've been trying to do the same thing but it's not working on my system. When I drag from the node graph into the node tree, I get a green + sign but when I drop it in, nothing happens. Any idea why ?
IMAC 3.2Quad i7 / OS 10.15.7 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX680MX 2GB VRAM / Resolve 17.4.6 / Decklink 4k / Monitor: FSI DM170

panos_mts

PostSat Apr 29, 2023 10:02 pm

Blake76 wrote:I've been trying to do the same thing but it's not working on my system. When I drag from the node graph into the node tree, I get a green + sign but when I drop it in, nothing happens. Any idea why ?
Do you drop it in the connection line?
Alternatively you can drop it inside some other node.

Blake76

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 9:52 pm

Yes, I tried both methods. When I hover over the connection line or node, I get the green plus sign.

I just realized, the connection line from the input is dotted so it appears to be inactive. Not sure why that is.
IMAC 3.2Quad i7 / OS 10.15.7 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX680MX 2GB VRAM / Resolve 17.4.6 / Decklink 4k / Monitor: FSI DM170

Marc Wielage

PostSun Apr 30, 2023 11:08 pm

okiewardoyo wrote:Dear all, how to duplicate the node in color page? For now, to duplicate, usually i create a serial node or paralel node first, then ctrl+c / ctrl+v from source node to it. Is there a way to duplicate it?

One thing you might consider is using a Fixed Node Tree, so that every single shot in your entire project has the same number of nodes in it. The advantage of this method is that every node is already pre-labeled, you know exactly what's happening in each node, and you can easily ripple grades across multiple shots either with Gallery stills (for all nodes) or by changing one node, highlighting the shots you want to change, and choosing Color -> Ripple Node Changes to Selected Clips.

MixingLight and Lowepost have done good tutorials on how to setup and use Fixed Node Trees, and there's good info there. Noted Hollywood colorist Walter Volpatto's 2-hour lecture on the subject is as good as it gets.

Here's an example of a simple Fixed Node Tree:

and here's a more complex 36-node tree:

Normally, most of the nodes I use are turned off (bypassed), and I do the vast majority of the actual heavy lifting in maybe 3-4 nodes. The rest I only activate when I need it. I tend to use a lot of tracking windows, so if I need (say) one on the left, I just turn it on and adjust it in about 2 seconds. It's easier than creating a node, choosing a window, and positioning the window; if there's already a window in the right place, it's fast and easy to use.

LiftGammaGain is another good source for deep discussion on the pros and cons of Fixed Node Trees.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

ShaheedMalik

PostMon May 01, 2023 3:40 am

Walter has one of the most concise fixed node tree's I have seen. He posts here too.

Marc Wielage

PostMon May 01, 2023 6:14 am

ShaheedMalik wrote:Walter has one of the most concise fixed node tree's I have seen. He posts here too.

Yes, Walter is brilliant and comes at this from a scientist/engineer's point of view, which is often interesting and refreshing.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Return to DaVinci Resolve