Extend time length of one clip w/out shortening other clips?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bobdobbs

Extend time length of one clip w/out shortening other clips?

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 10:57 pm

In the edit screen I'm animating a series of images by simply dumping them all in the timeline crossfading between them. I want to edit the length of time that some of the images occupy.

I can do this by a simple mouse operation: To lengthen a clip I simply grab the right-bottom corner and drag the clip to lengthen it.

That's fine - but the additional time of the clip I'm extending drags *over* the adjacent righthand clip, shortening the time of that clip.

Instead, I'd like to "shunt" the right-hand neigbouring clip further down the timeline. If "shunted", that neighbouring clip will still play for the same amount of time as it did before I started editing my target clip.

Another way of putting it: In effect, I'd like to perform an edit on the time-length of one clip without editing the time-length of neighbouring clips.

There are similar operations I'd like to perform as well - like if I shorten a clips time-length, Ideally I'd like the neighbouring clips to "stick" to the clip I'm editing so that I don't leave a gap. But I'd like to figure out that other operation first.

Thanks.

Sean Nelson

Re: Extend time length of one clip w/out shortening other cl

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 11:55 pm

You want to use the "Trim Edit" mode in the Edit Page. Press T on the keyboard or click the "Trim Edit" icon on the toolbar immediately below the viewer (it's just to the right of the default "selection mode" arrow icon). Press "A" or click the arrow icon to go back to the normal selection mode.

In "Trim Edit" mode the mouse cursor icon will change depending on where in the clip you're pointing (top middle of the clip, bottom middle of the clip, just inside the start or end boundary of the clip, or right over a clip boundary).

To lengthen a clip and push all the other clips behind it further right along the timeline, or to shorten a clip and drag all the other clips behind it to the left along with it, position the mouse cursor just inside the right boundary of the clip, click, and drag left or right.

As you drag a white rectangle will appear that shows you the available length of the clip - you can't drag beyond that rectangle because that's all the footage that the clip has.

Play around with it a bit on some test footage, it's a super useful tool.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

bobdobbs

PostFri Nov 04, 2022 4:53 am

Thank you!

testor1234

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 4:44 am

bobdobbs wrote:To lengthen a clip and push all the other clips behind it further right along the timeline, or to shorten a clip and drag all the other clips behind it to the left along with it, position the mouse cursor just inside the right boundary of the clip, click, and drag left or right.

How do I do this without using the mouse? In Premiere has some keyboard shortcuts called

"Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple Out"

and

"Select Nearest Edit Point as Ripple In"

Those move the playhead to the nearest cut. Then you can extend or reduce the clip by using "Trim Forward" or "Trim Backwards" keyboard shortcuts. How does one achieve a similar result in DaVinci Resolve?

Thanks for your help!

Hosvet

PostWed Apr 03, 2024 5:15 am

Make sure to turn off Position Lock or it won't work. Position Lock looks like a lock with a bidirectional arrow <--> on it, same bar area as the Trim Edit Mode button, to the right.

Return to DaVinci Resolve