18.1 – Primaries/Log Color Wheels Shortcut

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

MaxFilms

18.1 – Primaries/Log Color Wheels Shortcut

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 9:45 am

Unfortunately, I can no longer find the Primaries/Log Color Wheels shortcut. Did it get renamed?

btw: I absolutely love the new update. Thank you for the new edit grid in Fairlight. I hope you bring it to the Edit page too. This would be very helpful for editing to music.

akcivan

Re: 18.1 – Primaries/Log Color Wheels Shortcut

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 11:43 am

No, They deleted that keybind willingly.

I already posted here for this.

Look at picture bro, left is 18 version right one is 18.1 updated version, they just delete it. I really use that keybind more than entire 18.1 updates. I want it back
Attachments
issue.jpg
issue.jpg (187.78 KiB) Viewed 3998 times

Steve Alexander

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 12:38 pm

They refactored the view menu across all pages and it looks like this particular item was a casualty of that effort. Hopefully they did this accidentally and it will return in a future update.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

akcivan

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 1:12 pm

I requested many keybinds to add from them. They don't want to add any keybind or customize them to use keyboard setups.

I think they are trying to sell more color panels which has that keybinds on them :D

Hope i think wrongly, i like blackmagic stuffs. Even i use bmpcc4k for my shooting works too

roger.magnusson

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 2:41 pm

Maybe it's this one.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 3:03 pm

If you don't have a panel, don't you need the mouse to adjust the wheels?

If you're using the mouse, just click the icon.

I'm not seeing a need to shift back and forth frequently here. Am I missing something?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 3:05 pm

Since the wheels are in the same place on both panels and you'll have your mouse cursor there, it's much faster if you don't have to move the cursor over to the icons to switch the panel.

Jim Simon

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 3:13 pm

Yeah, that extra half a second really makes the difference.
homer-approved.jpg
homer-approved.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

roger.magnusson

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 5:03 pm

Come on, it's about staying in the flow of work, not clicking icons. With that logic we can do away with keyboard shortcuts completely. Don't you use Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V for Copy/Paste because it's convenient?

akcivan

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 9:53 pm

@Jim

So, we have to remove all our keybinds on system with that logic ?
For me it means a lot to stay creative and those keybinds are helping me to stay on project NOT OPERATING THINGS.

We are color artists. Not just operators

thommc

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 11:58 pm

Yes, please bring back the Primaries/Log key binding!
To remove it is reducing productivity.

This is mapped right under my thumb on a multi-button mouse.
Its a big time and attention saver when you're constantly flicking between the two colour wheel layouts.

To have to stop and look, move mouse, aim and click on the on-screen button is a significant and frequent flow breaker and irritation. Especially when you then have to do the same when going back to the colour wheel with its very sensitive positioning.

With key binding it can become pure muscle memory, and you don't have to move your mouse.
If you don't use this you don't know what you're missing.
DR Studio 17.4.3, Win10 16GB RAM

Marc Wielage

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 12:13 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Come on, it's about staying in the flow of work, not clicking icons.

You can work a lot faster on a panel. And it's one button to go from Log Wheels to Primaries to HDR wheels to whatever you want.

The biggest problem with trying to color correct with just a mouse (and no panels) is you can't simultaneously adjust two different controls -- say, lift and gain -- at the same time. 50% of what I do during sessions is that.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

roger.magnusson

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 12:58 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
roger.magnusson wrote:Come on, it's about staying in the flow of work, not clicking icons.

You can work a lot faster on a panel. And it's one button to go from Log Wheels to Primaries to HDR wheels to whatever you want.

The biggest problem with trying to color correct with just a mouse (and no panels) is you can't simultaneously adjust two different controls -- say, lift and gain -- at the same time. 50% of what I do during sessions is that.

Preaching to the choir. :) But I think it's the right thing to do to notify BMD when they've made a mistake by removing an existing keyboard command. Most Resolve users aren't professional users working in a grading suite.

For primary color correction I use the micro panel. Heck, when we're filming I often do preliminary grades on only a laptop in a hotel room at night just so the camera crew and director can get a feel for it. I've found it's one of the easiest ways to get people feeling good about the hard work of shooting.

MaxFilms

PostSun Nov 13, 2022 12:24 pm

I hope it was not removed willingly, but by accident and they bring it back soon.

Of course, it is even faster and better to work with a panel, but, as others said, there are situations where you cannot bring your panel and there are people who don't work in a professional grading suite. Please give us more flexibility in choosing our own way to work.

If it was not removed accidentally, I cannot think of any other reason for removing it, than trying to increase sales on the panels. Instead of improving the actual product they want to sell, they worsen the alternative. You don't need to make working with keyboard and mouse worse than it is.

akcivan

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 5:17 pm

Hope they are not trying to sell panels with deleting keyboard + mouse setup posibilies. I work in small desk and don't have money to buy a panel right now.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 2:41 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Preaching to the choir. :) But I think it's the right thing to do to notify BMD when they've made a mistake by removing an existing keyboard command. Most Resolve users aren't professional users working in a grading suite.

I have to say, I never like it when they remove a shortcut. I don't mind it when they add one, because then I can choose whether to use it or not. Removing one is generally not a good idea.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

roger.magnusson

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 10:08 am

There's also at least one command (might be more) that has moved from the View menu into an option under Preferences, that can no longer be bound to a keyboard shortcut so I wonder how they will address that.

Jeong Oh

PostTue Nov 15, 2022 6:13 pm

I contacted Blackmagic today and they replied that the shortcut was intentionally removed.
It doesn't appear to be a mistake.

Dermot Shane

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 5:06 am

easly and quickly programed mouse emulation, and bound to a kb shortcut, done in under 60 seconds

Mbeare

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 9:37 am

+1 Please bring this back. It is killing my typical workflow!
Gigabyte Aero D | Intel 13900K 5.3GHz AIO | 128GB DDR5 Corsair Vengeance | RTX 4090 Drivers 551.23 | 2x 4TB Firecuda 1x 8TB MP600 System, Cache & Working.

Micro & Mini Panel
Decklink Studio 4K E12G(12.5.1)
Resolve 18.6.2B2
Windows 11 10.0.22631

thommc

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Jeong Oh wrote:I contacted Blackmagic today and they replied that the shortcut was intentionally removed.

What is the rationale from Blackmagicdesign for removing this shortcut?

akcivan

PostWed Nov 16, 2022 9:36 pm

thommc wrote:
Jeong Oh wrote:I contacted Blackmagic today and they replied that the shortcut was intentionally removed.

What is the rationale from Blackmagicdesign for removing this shortcut?

Their color panel's has that button already. They just want to slower keyboard/mouse combination coloring work to sell more panels. I think this company is going to do same mistakes as adobe did.

SeldomSeenKid

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 7:58 am

Their color panel's has that button already. They just want to slower keyboard/mouse combination coloring work to sell more panels. I think this company is going to do same mistakes as adobe did.

No one buys a panel because of two missing shortcuts.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
# Threadripper 32 core / 160GB / RTX4000 8GB / WIN10 #
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

RowanCloete

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 9:39 am

This keyboard binding I use(d) literally thousands of times a day. +1000 for bringing it back - it serves no useful purpose for Resolve users to remove it, and thinking it is to sell Resolve panels is too cynical to imagine. I had it mapped to F13 on my keyboard and would have my right hand on it and my left hand on my Tangent Elements panel while flicking between the log and primary wheels to dial in exposure, 5, 10 15 times per shot. OR give us Tangent Mapper functionality. But don't cut us off at the knees.

And while you're at it, ADD a keyboard shortcut for getting to the HDR wheels!

Thanks for what seems to be a very robust update. I am praying the "critical error saving" autosave issue is now resolved, which has gotten me in serious trouble since 18.0 release.

SeldomSeenKid

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 9:44 am

On the Element there is a button to switch between Log and Primaries..?
# BMCC / DVR17.4.6 Studio / Speed Editor / Tangent Ripple / X-Touch One / X-Touch mini / Space Explorer / 5.1 HDMI#

RowanCloete

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 10:25 am

Thank you, yes I am using it now. It does necessitate taking my left hand from the wheels over to the button panel, hitting the two button combo to switch, and back to wheels. Whereas the F13 key is a very short one-button trip for my right hand from the wheels to the keyboard. Can feel that left arm working away, like I am directing traffic! Unless there is another button I am missing? Haven't had my jog panel plugged in for a while now...

Mainly working in the Color page but also heavily in the Edit and Fusion pages, a combination of my panels, keyboard and Wacom tablet works best for me, so a panel-only approach with the advanced panel is not an option.

Three days later I feel I have phantom-limb syndrome - I keep reaching for that keyboard shortcut...

SeldomSeenKid

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 10:52 am

Got your point. But you can switch between Log and Primaries with one button press. On the BT panel its the shortcuts Primary/Log/PrimaryAdj and on the KB panel its A/B. No such button on the MF.
Maybe a little Streamdeck with a mouse emulation function? Isn't hard to accomplish but bound to fixed screen resolution/layout/UI scaling and doesn't work with enlarged viewer.
Other solutions are feasible but require more effort.

akcivan

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 3:19 pm

SeldomSeenKid wrote:Got your point. But you can switch between Log and Primaries with one button press. On the BT panel its the shortcuts Primary/Log/PrimaryAdj and on the KB panel its A/B. No such button on the MF.
Maybe a little Streamdeck with a mouse emulation function? Isn't hard to accomplish but bound to fixed screen resolution/layout/UI scaling and doesn't work with enlarged viewer.
Other solutions are feasible but require more effort.

So you say; While in my left hand on keyboard and right hand on tangent panel.

Move your hand to move from tangent panel to mouse, go to buttons click them... Then go over tangent panel again do your stuff. Leave panel again for a mouse... Click Primaries again and put your hand on tangent again.

So long isn't it ? i prefer to click ALT + Z and do thing! and click Alt + Z again.

If i wanted 1 more small adjusment go read bolded text again :D and do it for every scene i've worked. Adding new keybind may be useless or not but removing very useful keybind without a reason is very bad.

RowanCloete

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 3:33 pm

Nice. Thanks for the tip Michael, much appreciated. Works nicely for my by swopping what the left and right was doing previously. You did give me an idea besides and I'm going to attempt using a macro tool to put primary/log/HDR wheels to F13-15 function keys.

Philipp Hönig

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 9:44 pm

OMG I hope they reconsinder. I use it all the time... So frustrating now. I have the Avid color Artist Panel for Years. Not gonna buy a BM Panel just for that. Bad job BM if you did this on purpuse

roger.magnusson

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 11:32 pm

I wouldn't bet that first line support knows whether something was removed on purpose or is an unintended consequence of the menu/shortcut overhaul in 18.1. As shown in the screenshot above there are obviously things there now that isn't intended (the "Fix me Please!!" command).

But if they checked with someone and this was indeed intended I too hope they reconsider and add bindable commands for switching to all the panels.
Last edited by roger.magnusson on Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GuillemV

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 11:46 pm

We need this back.
it's just so convenient, fast. Using an Avid Artist Color with an Tachyon Post's APC-40. I have a button that does this. I often use the mini panel too, ok... But the shortcut is so convenient, perfectly placed. It makes no sense to get rid of it.
12-core Mac Pro 7,1 / 96GB RAM
2x 6900XT
DR 17.4.5
macOS 11.6.4

akcivan

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 3:16 am

I believe they will bring it back :ugeek: they always listened their users.

ZRGARDNE

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 9:49 am

akcivan wrote:I believe they will bring it back :ugeek: they always listened their users.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MaxFilms

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am

Great news :D They brought it back. Thank you soooo much, Blackmagic, for listening to us.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 12:16 pm

MaxFilms wrote:Great news :D They brought it back. Thank you soooo much, Blackmagic, for listening to us.

Sounds like it - they just released 18.1.1 today.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

RowanCloete

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 10:51 am

Hoorah! Thanks so much for putting this back! Feature request for a shortcut to the HDR wheels :)

thommc

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 8:29 pm

Excellent to hear it's back!
Faith in BMD: restored.
And yes, while we're on a winning streak, please add a shortcut for HDR wheels!

IvanTheEditor

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 1:27 am

Oh thank god!!!! Updated immediately when I found out they brought it back. My fingers kept pressing the keys that I had assigned to it but for the past few weeks it wouldn't work. I kept thinking "maybe I'm losing my mind and those aren't the right keys... oh whatever, I'll just open the wheels with the mouse". And then I'll go and open the wheels with the mouse and forget about it until the next time I needed to switch to the other panel. It never occurred to me for even a second that they would remove this keyboard shortcut. Not once. It's so completely against any logical thing. Moral of the story: don't pull these kind of tricks on us BMD!! Muscle memory is a real thing. Don't mess with it or we'll cry like little babies :lol:

Return to DaVinci Resolve