New user upgrade issue from 18 to 18.1 (free version)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mjpatey

New user upgrade issue from 18 to 18.1 (free version)

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 2:28 am

Hi,

I'm brand-new to Resolve, and am still getting my feet wet. Running it on Mac. I've only used version 18, and a few days ago, decided to try the new version, 18.1. I didn't realize everything I'd need to do to accomplish this.

I found the new version online, downloaded and installed it. Running it the first time, it asked me if I wanted to upgrade the database, and I think I accidentally declined. The next few things I did are a little fuzzy; my apologies for not being able to recount them exactly. When I didn't see any of my projects in Project Manager, I googled around and saw that I needed to copy over the database to the new version. I found where that was (or so I thought), and copied and pasted what looked like my project files into a new location inside the folder where 18.1 lives.

I now know all this was the wrong approach. I see my project files in Project Manager now, but every time I open a project, it complains that the cache location and capture location are wrong. I found where to tell it the correct location, but I don't know what the correct location is.

I then found better info, saying to open version 18, backup the db from there, then go into 18.1 and restore from the backup... and allow it to upgrade the restored db to the new version. I managed to do that :-) Unfortunately, likely because of all the wrong stuff I did earlier, I still get the same errors upon opening projects (needing to update the cache location and capture location).

Is this something that I change once and it applies to all projects, or do I need to change it for each project? And how do I know what locations to give it for cache and capture?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed!

Uli Plank

Re: New user upgrade issue from 18 to 18.1 (free version)

PostThu Nov 17, 2022 2:40 am

Cache and capture location have nothing to do with the database. Just choose a fast storage device in DR's preferences.
This is not related to 18.1. but might be helpful:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i3x06004w0jp ... d.pdf?dl=0
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

mjpatey

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 6:24 pm

@Uli,

Thanks, I get it now :-) It looks like these preferences apply only to the current project. My issue is that I've created project templates, and as I use them to create new projects, they continue to have the cache and capture errors. So I've specified folders on my system SSD in the preferences for these templates and re-saved them. Problem solved!

Thanks so much for the info.

Uli Plank

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 3:58 am

That’s fine as long as enough space is there.
I keep them on an external, large and fast SSD, which is always connected before I start DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve