I upgraded project library and lost all my projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Likeable Media

I upgraded project library and lost all my projects

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 9:28 pm

I opened DaVinci this morning having working on projets yesterday and was prompted to upgrade the project library. There was no option to back up. I did the upgrade and all of my projects are gone. Any help would be welcome. I'm using version 18.0.4 Build 5 on a PC

Marc Wielage

Re: I upgraded project library and lost all my projects

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 pm

You should be able to open up your available Project Libraries in the Project Manager and see a list of libraries on the left you can import and convert:

I updated from 18 to 18.1 to 18.1.1, and all my original projects were still there. You should get in the habit of backing up your Project Databases and backing up your ongoing projects (as DRPs), if not on a daily basis, at least on a weekly basis. And even more importantly, back them up before updating any software.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 11:47 pm

You need to click the Details icon (the i in a circle at the right end of the project library name) to access the Backup option. If you don't have a backup, you have no way to revert to whatever the previous version was you were using.

However, you should not have received a prompt to Upgrade the project library unless you first updated the Resolve version. We released Resolve 18.1.1 last night. Is it possible you installed that? That would have then prompted you to upgrade the project library.

Look at the About DaVinci Resolve menu to verify what the current version is. But even if you did update to 18.1.1 and then upgraded the project library, your projects should not have disappeared.

If you installed 18.1.1, then upgraded the project library, then went back to 18.0.4, that would make the upgraded project library unavailable and not show you any projects. Might that have happened?

Send a Resolve diagnostics log file, which you can generate from the Resolve Help menu.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Likeable Media

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 9:40 am

Thanks Dwaine. I tried to install 18.1.1 yesterday and it failed to install. Then today I'm still running the old version of Davinci and I was prompted to upgrade.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:You need to click the Details icon (the i in a circle at the right end of the project library name) to access the Backup option. If you don't have a backup, you have no way to revert to whatever the previous version was you were using.

However, you should not have received a prompt to Upgrade the project library unless you first updated the Resolve version. We released Resolve 18.1.1 last night. Is it possible you installed that? That would have then prompted you to upgrade the project library.

Look at the About DaVinci Resolve menu to verify what the current version is. But even if you did update to 18.1.1 and then upgraded the project library, your projects should not have disappeared.

If you installed 18.1.1, then upgraded the project library, then went back to 18.0.4, that would make the upgraded project library unavailable and not show you any projects. Might that have happened?

Send a Resolve diagnostics log file, which you can generate from the Resolve Help menu.

Likeable Media

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 9:47 am

I just upgraded to 18.1 - I was prompted to upgrade the database again. After backing it up I upgraded. All of my projects are still gone!!! Not a happy camper.

Likeable Media

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 9:53 am

I've downloaded the diagnostic log to see what's happened.

I've also tried to upgrade to 18.1.1 and got the same error on install. See attached image.
Attachments
Failed install.png
Failed install.png (37.6 KiB) Viewed 324 times
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20221124-204913.zip
(203.62 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 12:00 am

It appears that there may be a project in the database that could not be updated, that may prevent the projects from being seen. The project is in this path:

C:\Users\darre\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects\Untitled Project 1

If you don't care about that project, just delete the Untitled Project 1 folder.

Regarding the control panels install error, unless you have a BMD external panel, you don't need the control panel app. Just select Yes to continue with other components.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve