Resolve crashing when duplicating a Timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

suncloud

Resolve crashing when duplicating a Timeline

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 11:23 pm

I've had problems Resolve (ver. 18.1.1) crashing when opening up. More specifically, when I try to duplicate a timeline, it crashes.

Can I go back and install a older version and still keep my database/libraries?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve crashing when duplicating a Timeline

PostWed Nov 23, 2022 11:38 pm

Going back to 18.1 won't be an issue.

If you are on Mac, just run the 18.1 installer.

If you are on Windows, you'll need to uninstall Resolve first, using the Windows Settings - Apps & features area.

Your current projects won't work in 18.0.4 or earlier.

It would be helpful if you could give us info to reproduce your issue. Resolve logs and a project export .drp of a project that crashes when you duplicate it's timeline.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

salmiak

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 6:58 pm

Hi!

I have exactly the same issue - on M1 Mac Studio using Resolve 18.1.1 Studio version - Resolve crashing when duplicating a timeline - doesn't happen with all timelines - just some.

I want to attach my logs in this reply - but they are 1.1 MiB, and it doesn't allow me to as max is 1 MiB- what to do instead? Can't send the project file as it contains client confidential footage.

What is causing this?

Thanks,
Klaus

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 7:58 pm

We recommend you put log and config and project files on a file sharing service and provide links to the files here. If you are a new forum user, it may not allow you to post URLs. If that happens, just put a space near the front of the URL so the system doesn't think its a URL.

Too bad you can't share a project export drp. That would likely be very helpful to us in attempting to reproduce the issue.
Dwaine Maggart

salmiak

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 9:09 pm

Hi Dwaine!

Actually - as you can't see the source files - it is totally fine to include the project file.

Both log and project file can be downloaded from here: https://we.tl/t-DKmFyrWi5y

The affected timeline is called "Episode 1 v01" - trying to copy that one and then open it crashes Resolve.

Thanks,
Klaus

salmiak

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 4:27 pm

Hi!

Any updates?

Now I experienced that Resolve refuses to open the project because I copied all assets from the timeline mentioned above to a new timeline, and it just crashed.

https://we.tl/t-s4pKOJbjx9

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 7:22 am

I assume that if you Import the drp you sent me, that should open, yes?

Are you using Voice Isolation in the project?

All your logs show issues trying to load RX9 plugins. In Finder, go to /Library/Audio and rename the Plug-Ins folder to Plug-Ins.tmp. That will prevent any of your third party audio plugins from loading. Does that change the duplicate timeline crash behavior?

If you are using Voice Isolation on a timeline that crashes when you duplicate it, does removing Voice Isolation stop the crash?
Dwaine Maggart

salmiak

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi!

Yes - it should open!

I tried disabling the audio plugins - did not help.

I did try voice isolation - but not on this timeline, and it didn't cause any issues.

I am basically stuck in 99 % and a spinning beach ball ... See screenshot: https://postimg.cc/CBXS7kYB

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 pm

Not sure why it opens on my M1 Pro MBP and not your system.

Only difference would be plugins and media.

If you disconnect your NVME01 2TB storage volume, will it load?
Dwaine Maggart

cruz333

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:53 am

Hey guys, I’m running into the same issue using Resolve studio 18, 18.0.4, and the latest 18.1 on a windows machine. I’ve even moved my whole project on to a faster SSD drive, even tried using my friends machine with 32gb ram w 4080 graphics card.

I’ve tried a variety of different troubleshooting methods online, and I just feel exhausted in trying to find a solution, going to call support tomorrow, will update with more info soon.

paulg666

PostSat Jul 29, 2023 12:29 pm

Hi, appreciate this was from last year, but I have the same issue. It started with a 3 to 4 second lag when playing back clips, and the Audio took this amount of time to play. I use Proxies, Rendering, disabled all Plugins etc etc. Lots of discussions around bugs with Voice Isolation and Dialogue Leveller, and I still haven't resolve that.

One of the suggestions to fix the Audio lag issue was to duplicate the timeline, and apparently this fixes it, however when I try to do that either by double clicking on the Timeline box in the top left, or right clicking I get the following message and Davinci hangs and I have to force quit on my M1 Studio Mac.

"Voice Isolation can only be run on Tracks or Clips". Now this is getting very interesting as going back to the original issue of Audio Lag when playing my clips back/editing etc in either the Edit page or Fairlight, I am convinced it is something to do with Voice Isolation. Now I have turned both of these off and on then back off again (as requested on another thread), but this to me sounds like either a bug where Voice Isolation is showing off, but it's somehow ON somewhere .. or something along those lines?

Final issue, syncing the Audio by Waveform also doesn't work, so I had to manually align the original Camera Audio with my Zoom F3 Wav file. Now that is 32 Bit Float, but I was under the impression Davinci now has the capability to interpret and use 32 bit float audio clips without issue.

Please can I get some help here, as I cannot edit my talking head video for obvious reasons, as I can't locate easily the gaps I need to delete. thanks in advance !!

I am using DR 18.5, Mac Studio M1 Max 64 Gig RAM, Ventura Operating System (latest version).

Return to DaVinci Resolve