Davinci Resolve Studio not importing any footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dennis Lovelady

Davinci Resolve Studio not importing any footage

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 3:52 am

I have a Mac Studio running MacOS 13.0.1, on which I'm running Studio 17.4.6 Build 4. (I also tried the latest Studio 18 version.) Neither of these gives any error, but also neither will import when I drag file in, nor when I use the import option.

Even MP4/MOV that were created yesterday with DR will not load into DR today.

I did find an old mp4 file that will load, just from hunt and peck, but none of the (dozens of) files I need to import, will do so.

Details for one file that won't load:

MPEG-4 (Base Media): 464 MiB, 19 s 392 ms
1 Video stream: AVC
1 Audio stream: AAC LC
Duration: 19 s 392 ms
Overall bit rate: 201 Mb/s
Encoded date: UTC 2022-11-08 03:50:56
Tagged date: UTC 2022-11-08 03:50:56
Writing application: Lavf58.13.101

Details for one file that will load:
MPEG-4 (Base Media / Version 2): 6.52 GiB, 1 h 8 min
1 Video stream: AVC
1 Audio stream: AAC LC
Duration: 1 h 8 min
Overall bit rate: 13.6 Mb/s
Performer: ReplayKitRecording
Encoded date: UTC 2022-04-10 14:40:06
Tagged date: UTC 2022-04-10 15:02:47

I don't understand why this is not working. More than that, I do not understand why such a high quality product can refuse to import without any details as to way. After all these years!

Any help? I will be happy to supply additional information. On Mac, I'm a little lost regarding how to get great details though. (MediaInfo gave me the above.)

*All needed files play fine using QT player and/or IINA.

I was originally running DRS 18's latest version when this problem started. I have since:
Rebooted
Removed DRS 18
Installed DRS 17
Rebooted again

No joy

Of course, I have upgraded my project library, so DR17 cannot access any of my prior files.
MacStudio M1 256GB OS: 13.1 Resolve 18.1
iPAD Pro Gen6 1TB, OS: 16.2
Nearest I can determine, the iPAD Resolve version number is not visible

Uli Plank

Re: Davinci Resolve Studio not importing any footage

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 4:36 am

Since the one that doesn't load is so huge, can you post a smaller one with the same problem to a cloud transfer service? I got a Mac too and could check.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Dennis Lovelady

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:12 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Since the one that doesn't load is so huge, can you post a smaller one with the same problem to a cloud transfer service? I got a Mac too and could check.

I appreciate the reply. Sorry it took a while to get back to hyou.

Further research led me to this solution (a friend sent to me):

click Davinci Resolve from the top menu bar, choose Preferences… from the drop-down menu. Select Media Storage from the left pane. All media storage locations will be listed here. Click Add button to add the folder where the audio and video files you want to edit using Davinci Resolve are saved. Click Save button at the bottom right corner to save the change and close the Preferences dialog. Go to import the video or audio from Mac to Davinci Resolve again see if any update.

I still hold that it's unacceptable for any professional software to flatly reject any input without some sort of obvious error message. Additionally (or compounding this) to reject videos because their containing or parent folder isn't listed in some obscure configuration parameter is baffling - especially in this everything-is-addressable-everywhere world!

But having said that, the problem seems to be resolved for the moment.

Uli Plank

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 11:56 pm

I never needed that to make DR work with incoming video footage. Those preferences are just a first resort for caches and other files generated by DR and you can change that on a per project basis.
There must be something else going on.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Dennis Lovelady

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Uli Plank wrote:I never needed that to make DR work with incoming video footage. Those preferences are just a first resort for caches and other files generated by DR and you can change that on a per project basis.
There must be something else going on.

Thanks @Uli Plank. I thought that too. But it persists. When i try to use any drive that's not specified in Preferences, files will not load, and no explanation is given. Once I add the drive to Preferences, voila! Problem goes away.

When I get home later today, I'll try to see what this means in terms of removable drives. Mac support for foreign drives us already poor... DaVinci adds a whole new level of poorness here.

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 1:17 am

I have no problem whatsoever with external storage of clips. They are loading perfectly fine, even if I plug the drive after DR has been started. I can also eject them from within DR and reconnect.
Only one of my drives is listed for caches, but I'm using clips from other drives most of the time.

So, something is messed up on your system. Or it's Ventura (which I wouldn't touch with a long stick for a few months).

lay_lo

PostSat Apr 01, 2023 4:15 am

Just want to say thank you for posting your solution to this problem. I encountered the same issue and had no idea how fix it for months. I created an account on this forum just to thank you. lol :D

Return to DaVinci Resolve