Expected backups, do not appear in Restore

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dennis Lovelady

Expected backups, do not appear in Restore

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:43 pm

Running Davinci Resolve Studio 18.1.1 Build 7 on MacOS 13.0.1 on a Mac Studio M1 system

I have automatic project backups turned on in Davinci Resolve. For sake of interest, the settings are:

Live Save - checked
Project Backups - checked
Perform backups every 10 minutes
Hourly backups for the past 2 hours
Daily backups for the past 2 days

Yesterday, there were two main projects that I worked on: "Kangaroos 2022-11 11" and "I Still Call..."

I spent about four hours on each.

When I look at project backups for the "I Still Call..." project, I find several Auto-backup entries.

When I look at the same for the kangaroos project, I find only one item listed, and that is from a few minutes ago (after about an hour of work).

Am I expecting too much? I would hope to find several backups from the previous day for the Kangaroos project. And possibly a "starting point" backup from today. It matters a lot since that's the more difficult edit (for me) of the day, and somehow some of that work is lost today. To be redundant: There is no backup listed for this project from yesterday at all.

Not asking for miracles, or to pull something from the air that's simply not there; what's lost is probably lost. But is there something in these settings that I might improve so that in the future?

(If any developers are listening, by the way, a "Starting point" backup, made just prior to the first change of some freshly-opened project, could do wonders from a restoration standpoint. Would have saved me today. Yeah, maybe you'd think it's enough to have the final backup from the last time a project was changed. That last backup may have rolled off, or may not be available for whatever reason. I tend to think that the concept of backing up just prior to a first change, has immense value. Today's findings should support that thinking.)
MacStudio M1 256GB OS: 13.1 Resolve 18.1
iPAD Pro Gen6 1TB, OS: 16.2
Nearest I can determine, the iPAD Resolve version number is not visible

Uli Plank

Re: Expected backups, do not appear in Restore

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:59 am

I never found those live saves very helpful. I do a .drp export to a separate medium at regular intervals.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve