Compound Clip Vignette Bug

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Wakintosh

Compound Clip Vignette Bug

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Hi there, recently upgraded from v18.0.4 to v18.1.1 and am encountering a new Vignette effect bug when working within a Compound Clip. This definitely did not occur in the previous version as I already have renders of the same sequence without this bug.

If I open my compound clip in the timeline, I have a video inside with the Vignette effect applied.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 234437.png
Screenshot 2022-11-28 234437.png (448.72 KiB) Viewed 256 times

If I then go back to my original timeline and change the zoom or postion of the compound clip (In the Inspector>Transform) then the clip moves in place but the Vignette does not move or scale based on the video itself, it merely stays in its original position/scale.
Screenshot 2022-11-28 234550.png
Screenshot 2022-11-28 234550.png (427.19 KiB) Viewed 256 times

Oddly enough the workaround is to place a solid colour generator on top of the video within the compound clip and set its transparency to 0. From there the Vignette effect works as intended as long as the colour generator is as long as the video.

Another workaround is again to open the compound clip and change the position/scale of the video inside it by any amount. The Vignette will then act appropriately when outside the compound clip. If the video has default values however, the Vignette will not apply correctly.

Wakintosh

Re: Compound Clip Vignette Bug

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 10:01 am

I have checked a few other effects and the bug does not seem to reproduce. Seems like its specific to vignettes.

The vignette effect doesn't seem to scale well in general, even if I apply it to the compound clip itself I have to go in the advanced settings to adjust its position.

panos_mts

Re: Compound Clip Vignette Bug

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 am

Wakintosh wrote:Oddly enough the workaround is to place a solid colour generator on top of the video within the compound clip and set its transparency to 0. From there the Vignette effect works as intended as long as the colour generator is as long as the video.
The same workaround works for a different bug with compound clips I mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=171050

Return to DaVinci Resolve