Adjustment layer question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lee Reichel

Adjustment layer question

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:12 am

I like the concept of an adjustment layer but I have experienced the same issue over and over. As an example if I put an adjustment layer over the entire timeline and use the layer to add contrast it works fine but if I select one clip and apply a zoom all the clips below the adjustment layer will have the same zoom applied because by default the adjustment layer is automatically targeted. Knowing that I have to be sure I select the one clip to apply zoom and unselect the adjustment layer which is selected automatically.

Is there a way to avoid this problem? I could lock the adjustment layer but maybe someone has a better idea. I think maybe the best way is to create the adjustment layer as my last edit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeff Brass

Re: Adjustment layer question

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:06 am

a) click on the clip on the timeline itself to select the clip you want to add the zoom. that's what you will now be working on. A selected clip will have a red outline around it on the timeline.

b) use a timeline node in the color page to add your contrast across all clips.

c) grade each clip so that each one is graded as needed, not a 'one contrast fits all' scenario
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Lee Reichel

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 am

Jeff Brass wrote:a) click on the clip on the timeline itself to select the clip you want to add the zoom. that's what you will now be working on. A selected clip will have a red outline around it on the timeline.

b) use a timeline node in the color page to add your contrast across all clips.

c) grade each clip so that each one is graded as needed, not a 'one contrast fits all' scenario
Thanks Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

panos_mts

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 11:02 am

Lee Reichel wrote:by default the adjustment layer is automatically targeted. Knowing that I have to be sure I select the one clip to apply zoom and unselect the adjustment layer which is selected automatically.
Make sure the Timeline -> Selection Follows Playhead is disabled, otherwise the topmost clip under the playhead will be automatically selected when you move the playhead.

Jim Simon

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:53 pm

My approach here would be to do all the editing first, without the Adjustment Clip and Contrast.

Then when it comes time to do Color work, I'd probably choose either a Timeline node, Shared Node or Group Nodes to add the Contrast, rather than an Adjustment Clip.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve