Cloud Databases changing output resolution?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Taylor Housworth

Cloud Databases changing output resolution?

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 2:05 am

Resolve 18.0.4

I've run in to this in 2 instances now. Wondering if it has to do with Cloud Databases since their use is the first time I encountered it.

I can't export at a higher resolution than the project timeline settings. The project timeline settings are for 1920x1080.

I've set an individual timeline to bypass the project settings for 3840x2160. When I go to the deliver page and select my dimensions, I select 3840x2160. I don't get any warning dialogue about a resolution mismatch or rendering at a higher res. I can see on the timeline and through my monitor that the timeline is 3840x2160. The timeline renders without issue, but then my resulting file is 1920x1080 and nothing I do will change that.

I ran into this same issue a couple of months ago when I had the project timeline settings for 4k but then I needed to export a single clip in 8k since that's what the source material was. I made an 8k timeline, put the clip in. No warnings, no problems to report, but it came out at 4k after every export.

Are project timeline settings overriding individual timeline settings in cloud databases, and capping them to whatever the largest timeline is? I can export at lower resolutions, but never higher than whatever the project timeline settings are.

I copied the cloud database over to local and tried another export without changing any settings. Sure enough, my export is now 4k. So cloud databases are doing something to override individual timeline settings.

Edit: had a chance to change the project timeline settings in the cloud database and that for sure was the throttle. 4k timelines actually export at 4k now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve