Thank you BMD!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ironlion37

Thank you BMD!

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 5:30 pm

As the snow is falling here today in Colorado, I'm about to get to work and it occurs to me to thank you BMD for creating and continuing to develop the incredible piece of software that is Davinci Resolve. You guys are incredible!

I'll share here my most recent project, created with DR. I'm currently working to finish the second installment in the series. It's a lot of work.

Thanks again!

p.s., I'll also mention I've developed a new controller for use with DR and have put together, but not launched, a kickstarter campaign. For anyone reading this, I'm curious if this controller looks useful to you as a video editor: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/il ... n=3efa3c22

jamedia

Re: Thank YOU BMD!

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 8:21 pm

The new controller for use with DR is a nice idea bit a quick look on Amazon shows a dozen or more programmable keypads from $15 upwards. Fancy illuminated keys etc. There are many more not on amazon. Looks like you are re-inventing the wheel. The problem is it will be trivial for any keyboard manufacturer to under cut you.
The Speed Editor really only works because most got it "free" with Resolve Studio. I wonder how many would have bought it stand alone? Possibly why BMD did the offer, to shift the surplus stock, and there have been new features, like programmable keys, since the deal.
www.JAmedia.uk
[AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core CPU | 128GB Ram | NVIDIA 3080TI 12GB ]
[MB ASUS ProArt B550| C Drive:; 1TB M2 980 Pro | D Drive; 2TB M2 970 EVO ]
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

ironlion37

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 8:36 pm

jamedia wrote:The new controller for use with DR is a nice idea bit a quick look on Amazon shows a dozen or more programmable keypads from $15 upwards. Fancy illuminated keys etc. There are many more not on amazon. Looks like you are re-inventing the wheel. The problem is it will be trivial for any keyboard manufacturer to under cut you.
The Speed Editor really only works because most got it "free" with Resolve Studio. I wonder how many would have bought it stand alone? Possibly why BMD did the offer, to shift the surplus stock, and there have been new features, like programmable keys, since the deal.

Hi, thanks for the response. The cheaper ones have less keys and are not bluetooth, and if you read the reviews, people have trouble even find the software to go with them. None of them have a stand, and tracking down the colored replacement keys is (surprisingly) difficult and expensive. (None of them come with those either). I've gone through the process of creating a stable design that can sit ergonomically in front of a mouse or Tourbox and can be used with the left or right hand. I find the colored keys really help in helping the brain learn which key does what - since you can program any key to do whatever shortcut you like. I'm using it all day, every day in my workflow and think others might find it useful. We'll see.

Again, thanks for the feedback, maybe I'll address some of your points on the Kickstarter page - since others will potentially have the same objections.

jamedia

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 9:03 pm

Good Luck, I mean that but the problem is for something like this any established manufacturer will be able to nick your good ideas and replicate anything you do. Especially if you manufacture in a different country. There is nothing patent-able in any programmable keypad.
You may get a small or niche market but don't expect to make any money with it. If you are OK with that go for it and I will probably buy one from you. :-)

and right on cue, 5 mins after writing the comment above this video comes up in my feed. Seriously, not making it up! Mind you it is damned expensive!
www.JAmedia.uk
[ Win 11 home |Resolve Studio V18.6 | Speed Editor via USB | Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen| ]

ironlion37

Re: Thank you BMD!

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 7:57 pm

Interesting. After looking at that carefully, I still think the Tourbox + the controller I've designed is a better setup, for video editing at least. The ergonomics are significantly better. You have to look at the Tourbox to see why.

I may end up just selling the stand and colored keys as a kit and let people order the keypad themselves. I've been talking with Chinese manufacturers and it's difficult to say the least. Plus things over there are destabilizing badly.

jamedia

Re: Thank you BMD!

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 10:23 am

ironlion37 wrote:Interesting. After looking at that carefully, I still think the Tourbox + the controller I've designed is a better setup, for video editing at least. The ergonomics are significantly better. You have to look at the Tourbox to see why.

I may end up just selling the stand and colored keys as a kit and let people order the keypad themselves. I've been talking with Chinese manufacturers and it's difficult to say the least. Plus things over there are destabilizing badly.

The problem is the stand can be made by "anyone" to fit "any" keyboard by any of the current keyboard makers. Also you can buy many styles of coloured keytops now.

It is a good idea but the Chinese/Tiwanese and other manufacturers will simply replicate your good ideas for any other keyboard they make now. They already have the markets and distribution. You won't be able to protect your idea enough to stop it being stolen by everyone.

Sorry to pour cold water on a good idea but in reality you won't make any money out of it. People will be able to undercut you with copies.
www.JAmedia.uk

Return to DaVinci Resolve