Key not recognized on new build

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AUROCH

Key not recognized on new build

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:58 am

Recently my otherwise reliable ASUS PC failed with a shorted i9 cpu from Vcc to Gnd.
Cost of a replacement cpu not much less than a new i9 12700 so I bought a new ASUS PRIME Z790A to upgrade with 32GB of DDR5 and installed my MSI RTX2080Ti and the original boot hard disk
I was surprised when it in fact booted into Win10-PRO on this different mbrd so went ahead and installed the new ASUS Z790A drivers successfully vi Asus Ai3
Other programs on the C drive worked, but when I started Resolve Studio (17.4) it wanted an Activation once more, so I entered it, but kept getting the message
"There was an error when attempting to perform an activation" The key code was entered several times and was correct but failed each time

Now I had to reactivate using this keycode twice before (over past 3 years) when the infamous Microsft updates at that time wrecked my PC, but Studio has only ever ran on this one PC (I have another PC running free version, but wantedto keep my 2nd Studio copy for my then new build (ASUS PRO WS WRX80E SAGE with T/Ripper PRO, 128GB ram) which was faulty and been returned to ASUS before any opsys could be installed..error 78)
Is it because I already had two new installs as explained above that Studio wont activate on the new PRIME Z790A PC?
Should I delete Resolve and re install , but only have older 17 zip file and my original studio is v16...or cant I install further as I have had to re install Studio twice before due to microsoft issues?
Will I have same problem when I finally get to install Resolve Studio on the (working )workstation?
I ask as it takes a long time to re unistall /iunstall Resolve only to find out it wont register again
Thanks for your time
John Byers

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Key not recognized on new build

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 10:05 am

Please refrain from shouting (all caps)
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:29 am

You should be able to install v18.1.1 and use the same key.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Charles Bennett

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 7:18 pm

John, you have the choice of all installers going back to version 10 if you scroll down the column. Your Activation code should have no problem activating Studio 18.1.1.
Attachments
Resolve Download.jpg
Resolve Download.jpg (353.73 KiB) Viewed 235 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

AUROCH

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 6:19 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Please refrain from shouting (all caps)

Thanks to all who replied (Peter, didn't use all caps, my initial post as observed here by me is is normal
as is this reply..Please advise if you are still getting all caps)
Do excuse lateness in reply as I got bitten by a red back spider yesterday and been hospitalised..still hurts like hell
I had re installed several install zip files of 17 versions on disk and all of them gave same results...but had an initial zip of 18 and re installed that which did accept my key so am now using 18.1 ( I reverted back to 17 when ALL projects came up off line in 18 (after backing the data bases in 17 as recommended) and all was Ok after that prior to cpu failure on that system
My projects and data bases are now not coming up at all once more so have to start fresh with 18
I think re using my original 10 Pro boot disk with V17 on it on the newer system (which came up and ran seemingly as normal after updating drivers) may had something to do with it. Was surprised by this as I thought I would have to buy a fresh Win 10 PRO license to use with the new motherboard and cpu I had installed (i7K12700 , DDR5 32GB and ASUS PRIME Z790 mbrd)
Anyhoo will just have to start anew with 18 . Thankfully nearly all my projects had been finalised.
and thanks again to all who replied
John Byers

Return to DaVinci Resolve