Selected Clips on color page not working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt Beck

Selected Clips on color page not working

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:19 pm

Pretty sure this is a bug unless I am missing some new setting.
On the color page, when I select "Selected Clips" it works as expected- It narrows down all the clips to the ones I have selected. However, as soon as I look at a clip in full screen (cinema viewer) and exit full screen, the only clip left is the one I was just viewing in full screen. I then have to go back and select "All Clips" then reselect the clips I want then go back to "Selected Clips" again. Even though I know it's gonna screw up, I keep going full screen out of habit and I keep having to reselect all my clips again. Man, if I'm missing something, please let me know. Running 18.0.4 on M1 MacBook Pro.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Selected Clips on color page not working

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 1:44 am

What are you trying to achieve? Full screen is for a single image, its role is to take just one and display.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Matt Beck

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 2:16 am

Perhaps Im not explaining well-

If I'm on the color page, and let's say I have 10 clips. Normally I might select clip#1 and clip#6 and then go up to the clips button on the upper right part of the screen and select "Selected Clips". This way only the 2 clips will be shown and I when I hit the play button it cycles through just those 2 clips so I can see how good they match. If I go into full screen mode (cinema viewer) it still correctly plays just those 2 clips, but as soon as I exit cinema viewer mode, I only have one clip left as selected. (whatever clip I was looking at in full screen)
It never used to do this. This seems one of the most basic functions, I can't believe no one else is noticing this?

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 5:21 am

Maybe since everybody else is using a split-screen?
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 6:08 am

Matt Beck wrote:Perhaps Im not explaining well-

If I'm on the color page, and let's say I have 10 clips. Normally I might select clip#1 and clip#6 and then go up to the clips button on the upper right part of the screen and select "Selected Clips". This way only the 2 clips will be shown and I when I hit the play button it cycles through just those 2 clips so I can see how good they match. If I go into full screen mode (cinema viewer) it still correctly plays just those 2 clips, but as soon as I exit cinema viewer mode, I only have one clip left as selected. (whatever clip I was looking at in full screen)
It never used to do this. This seems one of the most basic functions, I can't believe no one else is noticing this?

this is a similar effect as to go to the edit page and back: it looks like a bug, but in reality is designed in that way.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Andy Mees

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:54 am

waltervolpatto wrote:it looks like a bug, but in reality is designed in that way.
If it's by design then this design appears to be new. It works entirely as expected using Resolve for Windows v17.4.3, but it's not working (broken by design?) in Resolve for Mac v18.1.1.

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 11:18 am

i use a decklink output for my fullscreen view, but i just tried this and the same happened, i agree it feels a bit unwanted in most cases

Matt Beck

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 1:25 pm

I've been working in Resolve for a few years now, and through all the little quirks and bugs this is the one that is so annoying for me, it led me to create an account so I could post it here.

Being able to sort clips based on selection, or flag status or really any meta you can think of is a core function of resolve. It's so important, it's the button that is right next to the NODES button. It's one of the features that puts Resolve in a world of it's own. It seems to work fine for all the other clip selection possibilities, such as sort by Ungraded Clips. It just loses the clip selections when in Cinema viewer mode. The work around I have to use is to use Full Page Viewer instead, then it works as usual. Doesn't quite fill the screen, but I guess it is close enough for now.
Anyway, thanks all for your input,
Matt

Return to DaVinci Resolve