Voice Isolation not working on Nested sequences

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Doawah

Voice Isolation not working on Nested sequences

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 6:50 pm

I love the new Voice Isolation and Dialogue Leveler filters recently added. A real game changer. However, I notice it's not working on nested clips. I have a timeline that has three audio tracks with vocals on track 1 with some very bad background noise. It was filmed in a garage with air tools and car engine noise in the background. The Voice Isolator takes all of that out perfectly. I have some music on track 2 and some AFX items on track 3. The timeline is approximately 30 seconds long. I take this sequence and try to nest it into my main sequence but find all of the Voice isolation has been removed and I can hear the background noise again. I can't bounce the clips as the filter is track based. My only option is to either build my clip into the main sequence or export my nest and reimport it with the filters applied and baked in.

Does anyone know of another option or workflow that would work without me having to export and reimport? As always, I'm truly appreciative for all and any help.

Graham.

Steve Alexander

Re: Voice Isolation not working on Nested sequences

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 pm

You can apply the voice isolation to individual clips. Btw, I can confirm your finds.

Add - the crazy thing about this is that other track effects such as the EQ do propagate from the nested timeline so this issue you've reported is unexpected.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

Rolf Heiler

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 12:35 pm

I have a similar problem: I am inserting an interview timeline using Vice Isolation into an overall timeline. In the interview timeline, voice isolation works perfectly. Audio dropouts and double tones occur in the overall timeline. Absolutely useless. I cleared all render caches and worked without Smart-render.

12decode

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 8:05 am

same problem here. VI applied on the clips in a timeline working flawless. But severe artifacts (echo, dropouts) if I nest that timeline into another and try to playback or deliver/render that timeline.

Another issue: the settings of VI "amount" and Limiter "input gain" seem to be somewhat "linked" to each other if I apply both effects to the same clip. Changing one of the settings overwrites the other with the same numerical value. But not always...

Return to DaVinci Resolve