Subclip problem : partially displaying media offline frame

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ygilk1

Subclip problem : partially displaying media offline frame

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 12:58 am

After years editing with the pancake workflow and stacked timelines, I'm trying to use a subclip approach to have sort of a "media bin view" to ease my work.

So I found how to create subclips at derush time. And now I have a whole set of subclips (without extent), which is nice and more visual than a timeline. So far so good !

But as I'm trying to use the Cut page to take advantage of the speed editor, I see some unexpected problem. Subclips are displayed in the source tape each with the whole clip duration, and the missing part displays the Media offline frame. So it's really hard to navigate and I've no idea what a workaround could be.

I couldn't find anything on the forum or anywhere else about this problem. So any help would be much appreciated ! Thank you

ygilk1

Re: Subclip problem : partially displaying media offline fra

PostSat Dec 03, 2022 11:52 am

I also tried to edit in the Edit page with the subclips, and I'm very confused with their behaviour. I think there's a major bug with subclip without extent generation.

I'm currently using the last version DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.1.1 build 7

dd.png
dd.png (609.03 KiB) Viewed 379 times

From one clip and my I and O marks, I generated 2 subclips: with and without extent, as shown in the following screenshot.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-03 124043.png
Capture d’écran 2022-12-03 124043.png (662.33 KiB) Viewed 379 times

In the bin
The subclip without extent is right to use as the thumbnail view shows only the part of the clip I want to keep.
On the other side, the subclip with extent shows the whole clip with I/O marks and is difficult to use. If the playhead goes beyond the marks, the thumbnail can show any excluded frame and make it useless at edit time.

In the timeline
The subclip with extent is inserted with a right duration : the part I want to keep. I can use the trim edit mode to restore content if I need it. Perfect !

The subclip without extent is inserted with the whole clip duration. The part before I mark is present. The part after O mark is shown as Media Offline. Totally unusable. :|

May someone help me with this ?

Alec Kinnear

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 12:30 pm

ygilk1 wrote:The subclip with extent is inserted with a right duration : the part I want to keep. I can use the trim edit mode to restore content if I need it. Perfect !

The subclip without extent is inserted with the whole clip duration. The part before I mark is present. The part after O mark is shown as Media Offline. Totally unusable. :|

Exactly same issue here. Proper subclips (no handles) show either partly offline (or fully offline), even though the media files are present (right click on reveal in media storage takes me to full file). These are created with Match Frame (F) and saving with alt-B. Subclips with full handles don't do this (created by dragging from Timeline directly into a bin).

The proper subclips are the only ones with useful thumbnails (as the thumbnail is from within the used part).

Uli Plank

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 2:12 pm

Which computer and which sources?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 7:53 pm

I don't use the Cut page, but I wonder if you're trying to conflate disparate work flows here, Yann.

I'm thinking if you're gonna use Source Tape on Cut, you just don't need Subclips. Make your selects right from Source Tape.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve