Red nodes with every OFX

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

nfpotter

Red nodes with every OFX

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 2:08 am

Anyone know why my nodes in the color page are turning red (red label text and red number) whenever I add an OFX to a node? I'm on the most current version..

Thanks in advance.
Windows 10, i7-9700, 2070 Super, 48 GB ram, ssd's etc

Mads Johansen

Re: Red nodes with every OFX

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 7:22 am

Can you post a picture?
(if linking, add a space in the URL)
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

nfpotter

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 8:14 am

All I've got is an IDT and ODT, and it's causing my system to lag and drop frames. I'm going from 2100 HLG to DWG in unmanaged, then ODT out to Rec709. No NR, no effects, no fusion. This is new behavior. It's Sony HGL3, my PC usually tears through it no problems. Something has changed.

Jim Simon

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 4:53 pm

Are you trying to use an effect only available in the paid Studio version?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

nfpotter

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 7:27 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Are you trying to use an effect only available in the paid Studio version?

No, I have the paid studio version

nfpotter

PostSun Dec 04, 2022 7:28 pm

This system of having to wait to see your posts is DUMB. I have a critical project, and can't downgrade because I didn't backup between 18.0 and 18.1 (yes, my fault). However, it would be NICE to get some action on my post.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 2:49 am

Everyone s first few posts are moderated
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 3:23 am

I downgraded to the last 18.0.xxx version. Everything is working as expected. Something is very wrong with 18.1.xxx.

Aside from 2 CST's maxing out my CPU (normally nowhere close to maxed, given the same footage), I was also getting some strange color results, weird levels, a bunch of small stuff.

I'll wait to update, I guess. Doesn't seem like a solid release.

Blackmagic people, let me know if I can provide logs or anything. I don't mind helping...

GalinMcMahon

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 4:59 pm

Is it possible that when you upgraded to the latest version that you accidentally grabbed the free version? I've done that before. I'm on the latest Studio and everything is working.
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:02 pm

GalinMcMahon wrote:Is it possible that when you upgraded to the latest version that you accidentally grabbed the free version? I've done that before. I'm on the latest Studio and everything is working.

No. And even if I did, why would a simple CST cause 100% CPU usage? Something is very wrong in 18.1.xxx.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:06 pm

The thing is, you're the only one reporting this issue, which suggests it may be local to your machine.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:07 pm

Jim Simon wrote:The thing is, you're the only one reporting this issue, which suggests it may be local to your machine.

There are several threads about crashes, etc. Nothing about my machine was changed between 18.0.xxx and 18.1.xxx.

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:09 pm

Ah, a semantic fanatic, eh? Fair enough.

The thing is, you're the only one reporting the issues about red nodes and CST's maxing out the CPU, which suggests it may be local to your machine.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:24 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Ah, a semantic fanatic, eh? Fair enough.

The thing is, you're the only one reporting the issues about red nodes and CST's maxing out the CPU, which suggests it may be local to your machine.

Fantastic. Do you have a proposed solution?

Also, why does 18.0.xxx (last 18.0 version) run flawlessly on the same machine?

Steve Alexander

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:32 pm

nfpotter wrote:

We can't answer that but it does seem as though the GPU is being taxed more heavily since 18.1, doesn't it? Could also explain the increased number of crashed reported by others. For those users, I suppose trying different GPU drivers was probably suggested. Not sure if that also applies to your case.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:34 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:
nfpotter wrote:

We can't answer that but it does seem as though the GPU is being taxed more heavily since 18.1, doesn't it? Could also explain the increased number of crashed reported by others. For those users, I suppose trying different GPU drivers was probably suggested. Not sure if that also applies to your case.

Thanks for your input. I did update my GPU driver, but it had no effect.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 5:43 pm

Yeah, update may not be the solution, though - you may have to work backwards in time to a version that worked better for your card (and I realize this is a soul-sucking journey that may not end up fixing the issue). This sort of thing can drive one crazy. Can you post a link to a drp, sample media and include your entire system specs? Maybe someone with similar hardware can test to see if they can reproduce (and hopefully correct) what you are reporting?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Yeah, update may not be the solution, though - you may have to work backwards in time to a version that worked better for your card (and I realize this is a soul-sucking journey that may not end up fixing the issue). This sort of thing can drive one crazy. Can you post a link to a drp, sample media and include your entire system specs? Maybe someone with similar hardware can test to see if they can reproduce (and hopefully correct) what you are reporting?

What is a DRP? The media is HLG-3 from a Sony, both 4k/23.976 and 1080p 120fps. Problem seems to occur regardless of resolution. System specs in my sig.

Steve Alexander

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 8:00 pm

A drp is a Resolve project file created by right-clicking on your project in the project manager and selecting 'Export Project...'. If you create a short project that illustrates this, you could export it as a drp and include a short sample of the source media, zip it up and place it on a file sharing site (post the URL back here). I'm suggesting this as a means to determine if this is a problem specific to your machine or to Resolve 18.1.x. Ideally someone with the same GPU would be able to test and report their findings.

Btw - you can also create a project archive that will automatically include the source media - provided the project is small enough and shows the issue you have reported, that may be an easier way to provide the sample for someone to test.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Time Traveller

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 8:04 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:A drp is a Resolve project file created by right-clicking on your project in the project manager and selecting 'Export Project...'. If you create a short project that illustrates this, you could export it as a drp and include a short sample of the source media, zip it up and place it on a file sharing site (post the URL back here). I'm suggesting this as a means to determine if this is a problem specific to your machine or to Resolve 18.1.x. Ideally someone with the same GPU would be able to test and report their findings.

Btw - you can also create a project archive that will automatically include the source media - provided the project is small enough and shows the issue you have reported, that may be an easier way to provide the sample for someone to test.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Thanks very much for your help. I'll have to uninstall 18.0 and reinstall 18.1, but I'll try to get to it later.

mattfezz

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:36 am

nfpotter wrote:Anyone know why my nodes in the color page are turning red (red label text and red number) whenever I add an OFX to a node? I'm on the most current version..

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you might have smart caching on? Thats what a red number means. You should see a blue line above the timeline once it is cached.

Try turning it off and see if it changes things.

Could also be your caching location causing issues and/or the codec you are caching to.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

nfpotter

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:07 am

mattfezz wrote:
nfpotter wrote:Anyone know why my nodes in the color page are turning red (red label text and red number) whenever I add an OFX to a node? I'm on the most current version..

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you might have smart caching on? Thats what a red number means. You should see a blue line above the timeline once it is cached.

Try turning it off and see if it changes things.

Could also be your caching location causing issues and/or the codec you are caching to.

The red is the number and label on the nodes in the color page, not in the timeline.

mattfezz

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 6:22 am

is there a red/blue line above the timeline?

all ofx node's number & label turn red when smart caching is on. same as any motion fx that are applied.
The thumbnail timecode also turns red and when the caching is done it will turn blue. do you see any of that?

If caching is off the timecode above the thumbnails will be white.

You can change this setting in playback -> Render Cache
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini

nfpotter

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 6:28 am

mattfezz wrote:is there a red/blue line above the timeline?

all ofx node's number & label turn red when smart caching is on. same as any motion fx that are applied.
The thumbnail timecode also turns red and when the caching is done it will turn blue. do you see any of that?

I'm very aware of how caching works, as I just had to correct it for my setup for proper throughput. I didn't get a chance to reinstall 18.1 tonight. I'll try tomorrow. I didn't notice and red labels in the timeline, but I was mostly in the color page. Thanks for the suggestion, should be interesting to see.

mattfezz

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 6:34 am

nfpotter wrote:

I'm very aware of how caching works, as I just had to correct it for my setup for proper throughput. I didn't get a chance to reinstall 18.1 tonight. I'll try tomorrow. I didn't notice and red labels in the timeline, but I was mostly in the color page. Thanks for the suggestion, should be interesting to see.

ok cool, yeah I am referring to the timeline in the color page - it shows a red line that turns blue as caching is done (same as the edit page)

The nodes number and label will stay red though.

good luck tomorrow :)

nfpotter

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 3:15 am

mattfezz wrote:
nfpotter wrote:

ok cool, yeah I am referring to the timeline in the color page - it shows a red line that turns blue as caching is done (same as the edit page)

The nodes number and label will stay red though.

good luck tomorrow :)

Well, you've definitely got me going in the right direction! Thank you!

With smart cache on, ANY nodes in the color page appear to have to cache. Some cache quickly, some slowly, and some never seem to finish. This is what is causing my lag and dropped frames. The clip shows blue in the edit page, but red in the color page.

If I change caching to "none", all of this goes away and I get perfect playback.

So what changed in 18.1.xxx? This behavior is not present in 18.0.xxx.

Ideas, anyone?

mattfezz

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 4:12 am

Check your drive where the cache is going to - I have had similar issues when it was full.

Also try just using user cache, and if you need to turn on manually shots for fusion output or color output caching.

nfpotter

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 4:41 am

mattfezz wrote:Check your drive where the cache is going to - I have had similar issues when it was full.

Also try just using user cache, and if you need to turn on manually shots for fusion output or color output caching.

Drive has tons of space.

I don't understand why I can't just leave it in "smart" cache. Always worked great before. Why is 18.1 even trying to cache simple color page nodes (ofx)? It doesn't in 18.0.xxx. Shouldn't need to now then. If I turn caching off, everything runs great.

Resolve people, check this out??? Should I submit a ticket or something? Is there a new setting in 18.1.xxx that I'm not aware of?

mattfezz

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 8:42 am

ofx on nodes has always cached since it was introduced many versions ago when in smart mode.

To your point, yes you should be able to leave it on smart cache and it should work- the clips should get cached, turn blue and not use any more/minimal processing (assuming color output is selected also). The nodes will stay red though.

The only time things can get complicated is when optical flow is applied to shots and is this always processed after the grade and so will always need re-caching when a change is made.

Its an odd case for sure and one I have never seen before :o (other than when the cache location was full in my case)

nfpotter

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 3:45 pm

mattfezz wrote:ofx on nodes has always cached since it was introduced many versions ago when in smart mode.

To your point, yes you should be able to leave it on smart cache and it should work- the clips should get cached, turn blue and not use any more/minimal processing (assuming color output is selected also). The nodes will stay red though.

The only time things can get complicated is when optical flow is applied to shots and is this always processed after the grade and so will always need re-caching when a change is made.

Its an odd case for sure and one I have never seen before :o (other than when the cache location was full in my case)

Thanks for your input. Strange, indeed. Broken, I'd say. If something works fine in version A and doesn't in version B with no changes in procedure, I'd call that broken.

nfpotter

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 4:37 am

Anyone know how to submit a ticket? I emailed Blackmagic with a link to this thread, but the guy just said post on the forums. Literally sent me a link to the parent of all these forums. WTF

mattfezz

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 1:08 am

It's interesting that no one else so far has reported the same issue. So at the moment its likely an issue specific to your system unfortunately.

I haven't had any issues with caching etc. on this version at 5 or so different suites (Mac and windows) - all working as it always has.

I'm not BMD but I'll try to help:

1) Is it the same issue in all projects? Could be a bugged project.

2) I think you mentioned this already, but have you confirmed the cache files location is correct in your project settings?

3) If you wanted to share a drp where the issue occurs (maybe with generated files in compound clips or test footage), maybe it can be looked into?

4) When you go back to previous versions - does the issue go away?

nfpotter

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 3:49 pm

mattfezz wrote:It's interesting that no one else so far has reported the same issue. So at the moment its likely an issue specific to your system unfortunately.

I haven't had any issues with caching etc. on this version at 5 or so different suites (Mac and windows) - all working as it always has.

I'm not BMD but I'll try to help:

1) Is it the same issue in all projects? Could be a bugged project.

2) I think you mentioned this already, but have you confirmed the cache files location is correct in your project settings?

3) If you wanted to share a drp where the issue occurs (maybe with generated files in compound clips or test footage), maybe it can be looked into?

4) When you go back to previous versions - does the issue go away?

Thanks much for your help. I figured it out. I was used to working in a color managed workflow, so no IDT/ODT CST's. Generally didn't use OFX on the color page much, so rarely saw the red nodes while caching. Always left smart cache on.

I recently switched to an IDT/ODT workflow, and apparently "smart cache" isn't that smart, lol. Had to change to using user cache. All good now, thanks!

mattfezz

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:56 pm

awesome bro! glad that worked for you!

I agree, there should be options to maybe define which OFX should cache or not - I don't think CSTs are should in most cases.

Return to DaVinci Resolve