How to get smooth gradation, smooth scopes in davinci resolv

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

JJRKDOP

How to get smooth gradation, smooth scopes in davinci resolv

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 7:46 am

I can't attach the video because of copyright.

If I apply gamma in davinci resolve or apply the default lut provided by the camera company, I couldn't see such a smooth gradation, but I see clumped gradations on the scopes.

Even if i think about various ways to increase the offset, increase the gain, and finely adjust the mouse in curve custom, it is always difficult to see such a good gradation.

Is there a way to meticulously fill out these clustered gradations?
Attachments
화면 캡처 2022-12-05 164150.jpg
화면 캡처 2022-12-05 164150.jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 480 times
화면 캡처 2022-12-05 164207.jpg
화면 캡처 2022-12-05 164207.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 480 times
화면 캡처 2022-12-05 163837.jpg
화면 캡처 2022-12-05 163837.jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 480 times

DavidVogt

Re: How to get smooth gradation, smooth scopes in davinci re

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 6:46 pm

The first 2 waveforms look fine. They look like normal scenes. Without seeing the original image, I don’t see any gradation problems. The 3rd scene is badly clipped at the top.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

mattfezz

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:43 am

Hmm, not sure what you are trying to achieve - the scopes look like they are from a normal image - why do you want smooth graduations? Hard to know what is happening without seeing the actual shot. As David said the 3rd one is clipping.

If you apply a low pass filter to the scope - does that render it more like you are hoping?

If you want to "Smooth out" the waveform you can just blur the image haha.

Apologies if I am not understanding what you are asking.
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

JJRKDOP

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 3:11 am

mattfezz wrote:Hmm, not sure what you are trying to achieve - the scopes look like they are from a normal image - why do you want smooth graduations? Hard to know what is happening without seeing the actual shot. As David said the 3rd one is clipping.

If you apply a low pass filter to the scope - does that render it more like you are hoping?

If you want to "Smooth out" the waveform you can just blur the image haha.

Apologies if I am not understanding what you are asking.

This is because the images I like have in common. It also means that the compressed data has been well decompressed.

Andrew Revvo

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 4:49 am

JJRKDOP: mark on the scopes areas those you call "clustered". And what is wrong with them as you think?

JJRKDOP

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 8:15 am

Andrew Revvo wrote:JJRKDOP: mark on the scopes areas those you call "clustered". And what is wrong with them as you think?

This is because the subject's exposure is packed into one line on the IRE graph. Of course, if the lighting was good in the original source, it would show good gradation, but the job of color grading is to make that possible.

Jim Simon

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm

Like the others, I'm lost.

Show us one image and one scope that go together.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mattfezz

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 9:36 pm

JJRKDOP wrote:
Andrew Revvo wrote:JJRKDOP: mark on the scopes areas those you call "clustered". And what is wrong with them as you think?

This is because the subject's exposure is packed into one line on the IRE graph. Of course, if the lighting was good in the original source, it would show good gradation, but the job of color grading is to make that possible.

I see what you are saying now,

Are you using any colour management here or is the scope showing the source? It would be so much easier if you can post an image.

The highlight and shadow tool can be good at "stretching" out the detail in the highlights and shadows - but if the camera has only recorded a little slither like its showing (like a sky or something without much detail/lighting graduation) there is only so much you can do before it will break up and start banding. If your source is 12 bit or above that will help.

If things are clipped in camera, things are clipped and there is not much you can do to recover that info (can try swapping stuff from other channels in some situations)

Also you can have a scope like that and have a good image still - ultimately its about how the image looks on the display, to your and your clients eye and not the scope
Mac Pro 7,1 | 3.2Ghz 16 Core | 192GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo, Radeon RX 6900XT | Ultrastudio 4K Mini
macOS 14.3.1 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 | Desktop Video 12.3.1

Uli Plank

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 2:24 am

Even 10 bit would help as long as it's not clipped.
But 8 bit sources are definitely just enough for very mild grading. And then, you don't give any details about your sources. Some cameras offer log in an 8 bit source, which is something to avoid wherever you can.

I can see what I think to understand from 'cluster' in the highlights of your third picture. You can try to add minimal grain to the highlights only to cover up that banding, but you need to balance that with the final compression, it can lead to ugly blockiness instead.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to DaVinci Resolve