How do I move assets to new PC?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

shaybly

How do I move assets to new PC?

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 4:19 am

I'm building a new PC and will be moving my database which should be no problem. What I'm wondering is how do I ensure that my POWERBINS and their associated settings/media get moved to the new PC? Also I use Alex Audio Butler plug in and would like to move that also. Any ideas on how to duplicate my current setup without losing anything? Thanks for your help, this is my first time doing this and am wanting to maintain my presets and stuff.

Andrew Revvo

Re: How do I move assets to new PC?

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 5:14 am

You can copy all the software settings and databases as files.

For Windows they are here:
Code: Select all
C:\Users\All Users\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support
C:\Users\All Users\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Preferences
C:\Users\(You)\AppData\Roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support
C:\Users\(You)\Documents\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve
C:\Users\All Users\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Fusion

The one exception is external OFX and VST plugin settings These settings may be wrong on a new computer, so these files should be deleted:

Code: Select all
FXConfiguration.xml
VST3Configuration.xml
OFXPluginCacheV2.xml

Also check permissions. Some files should have different permissions (admin and current user).

The .license folder cannot be copied. Also some paths are mixed with common software libraries and drivers also with temporal files and logs.

But it is safe to copy all the content to the installed state then reinstall Resolve to update libraries. Also it works with upgrade to a new version. If you are not sure, just uninstall Resolve after copying to delete Resolve software parts, then install it again.

If you want more precise transfer, just check any file for what it is. Most settings are just text files. Also file/directory names are good to understand the purpose.

Return to DaVinci Resolve