cloning camera original timecode from DVCAM to Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alan Dater

cloning camera original timecode from DVCAM to Resolve

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 9:19 pm

I will be digitizing about 100 Sony DVCAM tapes using the Sony DSR1500 deck. I am uprezing them to HD at the same time. Fortunately when I shot them I used the Ikegami DV7W which had a widescreen format option so they match the HD aspect ratio. I am using the BM mini analogue/component to SDI converter box and the BM mini SD to HD converter box and Blackmagic Media Express is the app I use to digitize. I am going through the BM Decklink studio into a Mac Pro mid 2010. The DSR1500 deck has a timecode out but I'm not sure how to get it into the Decklink card, I cannot find a timecode in connector on the card. I have imbedded the audio in the SDI and that keeps the sync perfect with no offset. The new HD video looks great. I am on Resolve 17. I would like to be able to have the original DVCAM camera timecode imbedded in the new digitized files but Resolve creates a new timecode based on the timeline position. I cannot find a way to output from Resolve the files with the original camera Timecode imbedded. Anyone have a suggestion?

Peter Cave

Re: cloning camera original timecode from DVCAM to Resolve

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 11:28 pm

Your best option is to capture the DVCAM using a firewire connection to the PC.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Uli Plank

Re: cloning camera original timecode from DVCAM to Resolve

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 2:07 am

Second that. Pull the original files in as data and work from there. Any analog process can't look as good.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve