Import RAW codecs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

cOs Plaza Studios

Import RAW codecs

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 1:47 pm

Hello,
our company was a long time user of Apple Final Cut Pro shooting with Canon and Sony cameras.
Last year we decided to go further and invested in a RED Komodo 6K Digital Cinema Camera.
Then we naturally move to Davinci Resolve to get the fully R3D RAW codec compatibility and the best image quality especially in image calibration.
We recently upgraded our photo shooting config to get more than full frame and bough a Fujifilm GFX 100S Digital Medium Format camera that shall be used as a second Digital Movie Camera recorded by an Atomos Ninja V in Prores RAW.

I was so disappointed to find that Davinci Resolve 18.1.1 DOES NOT SUPPORT APPLE PRORES RAW!!! :o

Isn't it the major movie codec adopted by the most camera brands and the professional film industry?

Then it complicates all the workflow to import R3D RAW shots in Resolve and need to convert Prores RAW to Adobe Cinema DNG with RAW Convertor (for Mac OS only) before to be able to import in Resolve.

So much wasted time, energy and consequently image quality.

I know that relationship between Apple, Atomos and Blackmagic Designs must be complicated and each brand has its own proprietary codec but hundred thousands including me have the same query.

Please add Davinci Resolve Prores RAW support to direct import and edit RAW files with all the workflow and image quality advantages :D

As Adobe Premiere Pro and AVID Media Composer do have the two of both world.

We do not plan to buy a Blackmagic video assist and use BRAW codec.
If some people have other solutions?

Our Graphic workstation config.
Davinci resolve 18.1.1 build 7
Mac OS Monterey 12.6.1
iMac Pro
CPU intel Xeon 18 core W-2191B
RAM 128GB
First GPU integrated AMD Radeon Vega 56 8GB
Second GPU external AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB
Mac OS 12.6.1 graphic drivers
External 4TB nvme/Thunderbolt 3 SSD for project and 1TB internal Apple SSD for cash.

Thanks.

Olivier Henri CHRETIEN
cOs Plaza Studios

ZRGARDNE

Re: Import RAW codecs

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 3:15 am

Been discussed multiple times.

Apparently less than great cooperation between Apple and BM on having competing raw standards.

I hold out zero hope of BM add PR Raw.

Atomos doing Braw is probably also a stretch as it competes with the View Assist.

Avid releasing a DNxRaw seems like the ideal solution. Everyone seems happy to work with them. But never heard even the slightest of rumor on that. :(

Uli Plank

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 3:55 am

Well, ProRes is widely seen as a standard and fully supported by DR. Even on PC for reading.
ProRes RAW is not so much seen as a standard, but the lack of support is disappointing nevertheless. Neither is Apple supporting BRAW, so it seems to be a mutual issue.
You should still have Compressor around, so just convert.

This might be helpful too (sorry, in German, use DeepL for translation):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip58u11xundbl ... s.pdf?dl=0
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 4:30 pm

cOs Plaza Studios wrote:Isn't it the major movie codec adopted by the most camera brands
Actually, there's only one camera that can record ProRes RAW - the Zenmuse X7.

All other cameras require an external recorder, so maybe the Video Assist recording BRAW can work here?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mickspixels

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 7:21 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
cOs Plaza Studios wrote:Isn't it the major movie codec adopted by the most camera brands
Actually, there's only one camera that can record ProRes RAW - the Zenmuse X7.

All other cameras require an external recorder, so maybe the Video Assist recording BRAW can work here?

Actually that is not correct. The Nikon Z9 can record ProRes Raw internally as well as Nikon's own Nikon RAW. The Z9 was released in late 2021 and the ability to record internal raw was introduced by a firmware update in April 2022.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 9:27 pm

mickspixels wrote:The Nikon Z9 can record ProRes Raw internally as well as Nikon's own Nikon RAW.

And the lawsuit initiated by Red because of this camera will go to trial in the beginning of 2024.
https://ymcinema.com/2022/12/08/red-vs-nikon-jury-trial-is-set-for-january-2024/

mickspixels

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 9:46 pm

Amazing - a trial by jury. It's hard to imagine how a jury would be able to reach a verdict on something so complex and technical. And what the outcome would be if they ruled against Nikon.

ZRGARDNE

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 12:22 am

mickspixels wrote: And what the outcome would be if they ruled against Nikon.

Status Quo. Anyone using compressed Raw in a camera needs to write a check to Red.

I believe Nikon's angle is that Red didn't do all the copyright hurdles in the correct order. That Red released the product before applying for the patent.

If that is true, I am surprised the past lawsuits didn't press that argument.

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 1:05 am

And if Nikon looses they have to cough up the dough or kill the recording with the next firmware, just like BM had to do with DNG.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Nick2021

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:29 am

mickspixels wrote:Amazing - a trial by jury. It's hard to imagine how a jury would be able to reach a verdict on something so complex and technical. And what the outcome would be if they ruled against Nikon.

If it starts in 2024 by the time any appeals are over it might be past the life of the patent. 2027 I think.

I think Nikon has already implied they don't see any damage to Red. If they lose I'd assume they'd push that line of reasoning. No harm no foul.

I don't think many are using ProRes raw in the Z9. You'll be hard pressed to find one positive review of ProRes. It's lower quality than NRaw 8k.

Mark Foster

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 11:59 am

Uli Plank wrote:And if Nikon looses they have to cough up the dough or kill the recording with the next firmware, just like BM had to do with DNG.

or DJI with proresRAW in the ronin 4D

Nick2021 wrote:
mickspixels wrote:Amazing - a trial by jury. It's hard to imagine how a jury would be able to reach a verdict on something so complex and technical. And what the outcome would be if they ruled against Nikon.

If it starts in 2024 by the time any appeals are over it might be past the life of the patent. 2027 I think.

I think Nikon has already implied they don't see any damage to Red. If they lose I'd assume they'd push that line of reasoning. No harm no foul.

I don't think many are using ProRes raw in the Z9. You'll be hard pressed to find one positive review of ProRes. It's lower quality than NRaw 8k.

only that red has recently extended (supplemented) its patent.
and that's why i don't see nikon's chances as good.

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Nick2021

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:08 pm

Some how I doubt Nikon is surprised that Red is suing.

IIRC Red's new patent is for smartphones or something.

John Spirou

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:16 pm

Why don’t they use braw?

Sony, Nikon, Fuji etc….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Uli Plank

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 3:38 pm

Because BM owns it.

John Spirou

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 pm

But bm said that’s everyone can use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DavidVogt

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 11:32 pm

The RAW battle has been going on for years. Nobody has been able to find a standard that everybody thinks will do the job. Sony, Nikon, BM all think theirs is best, and to use someone else’s compromises their equipment’s performance. Adobe tried first with their DNG standard which had some success, but the plethora of sensor designs doesn’t seem to optimize for it.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Uli Plank

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 2:15 am

John Spirou wrote:But bm said that’s everyone can use it.

Everyone can use the SDK to decode it, yes.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Dec 10, 2022 11:10 am

BMD hasn’t said anything about anyone having free reign to implement braw encoding anywhere.

Nick2021 wrote:I don't think many are using ProRes raw in the Z9. You'll be hard pressed to find one positive review of ProRes. It's lower quality than NRaw 8k.

Sensor dictates the quality of raw data. Unlike braw, prores raw actually stores bayer pattern data. What the quality of that data is depends on the sensor. How the prores raw decoder is implemented in some software X is also mostly dependent on those implementing it, not prores raw as a format. Right now most implementations don’t expose all prraw decoder functionalities.
I do stuff.

nicowieditz

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 12:46 am

How can I convert PRO RES RAW from my RONIN 4D into Cinema DNG to work with DVRS. Any ideas?

Thx.
Nico.
Cameras: BM Ursa Mini Pro 12k (BRAW), BMPCC 6k (BRAW), Ronin 4D (PRO RES RAW)
Computers: MacPro 7.1 128 GB VRAM

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 1:09 am

Why would you want to do that? You have a Mac. Get Apple's Compressor and convert to ProRes.

nicowieditz

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 1:41 am

Uli Plank wrote:Why would you want to do that? You have a Mac. Get Apple's Compressor and convert to ProRes.

Hi Uli,
I thought that with CDNG you have more editing capabilities in DVRS than with ProRes compressed. Now that I can finally shoot in raw format again in the Ronin 4D, I actually wanted to continue working in raw format in DVRS. That was the background. Or am I wrong about the Cinema DNG format?
Cameras: BM Ursa Mini Pro 12k (BRAW), BMPCC 6k (BRAW), Ronin 4D (PRO RES RAW)
Computers: MacPro 7.1 128 GB VRAM

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 2:04 am

How strong is your machine? DNGs are pretty heavy.
You don't loose much with ProRes 422 HQ and next to nothing with 4444.
But anyway, try for yourself.

mickspixels

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 2:22 am

Personally I use Final Cut Pro for converting ProRes Raw files for grading in Resolve. I'm not sure if it is possible to make any changes (white balance, ISO, exposure) to the raw file in Compressor which are possible in FCPX (for Nikon ProRes Raw at least). I can't find any way of doing it in Compressor from a quick look.

There are a couple of options if you want to convert ProRes Raw to CDNG. There is an app available on the App Store called Raw Converter which does this and you can do a free limited trial. I tried it and was pretty disappointed with CDNG when imported into Resolve in comparison to editing BRAW but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance. You could download the trial and see what you think (assuming it works with your camera). The full version is $60 on a per camera model basis.

There is also an app called Assimilate Play Pro Studio which can convert ProRes Raw to CDNG. This was just released yesterday. I only know about it because I previously got an earlier version of Assimilate Play Pro free with my Ninja V. I got an email earlier today with an upgrade offer for $30 but I think it is $299 if you are not coming from the Ninja version. You can get a monthly subscription for $39 which can be cancelled any time.

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 2:47 am

If you are familiar with FCP-X, I'd say it's the better solution to do your editing and a 'first light' grading of ProRes RAW there and export the whole project as ProRes 422 HQ or 4444 to DR for final grading.
Depending on your distribution, ProRes 422 HQ might suffice for most cases other than cinema.

mickspixels

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 6:25 am

I don’t do any actual grading of ProRes Raw files in FCPX as this requires adding clips to a project (timeline) and exporting that. You can’t easily export individual clips (requires making ranges) from a timeline and even if you do that they all have the project name.

For exporting individual clips I think it is best to do that from the browser. You can modify the white balance, exposure and ISO of individual clips and export batches with the clips retaining their names, import into Resolve and off you go.

Return to DaVinci Resolve