Accidental Off Speed Shooting (am I screwed?)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cavalicious

Accidental Off Speed Shooting (am I screwed?)

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 2:25 pm

OK, yes the blame is on me for not noticing that Off Speed shooting was on; I'll take the L for that!

Equipment: 6K Pro

So I recorded 2 entire Basketball games with Off Speed on (50fps) instead of the normal 29.97 I use. I only noticed it when I went to start cutting in DR and the footage was playing in Slow Motion. File properties say 29.97, so I was stumped for a bit. Turned the camera on and sure enough, top left-hand corner "50/29.97." AAARRGGGGGG!

While I can get the video to play normal by changing the the video to 50fps in a 29.97fps timeline, the audio is off. Audio seems to be recorded in 29.97 while video was at 50fps.

Is there a way to recover? Preferably pre Cutting. The BRAW files show that the Video is longer than the audio. So if I start cutting and try to slide audio, I'm going to have gaps. Would be nice if there was a way to get it in sync prior to Cutting and adding to the timeline.

Thanks for any help.

John Paines

Re: Accidental Off Speed Shooting (am I screwed?)

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 3:18 pm

The off-speed audio wasn't recorded at any fixed rate (even the wrong one), so there's no single operation which will bring it into sync with the video.

You'll need to sync it up manually on the timeline, adding room tone/ambience as needed.

Cavalicious

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 6:02 pm

John Paines wrote:The off-speed audio wasn't recorded at any fixed rate (even the wrong one), so there's no single operation which will bring it into sync with the video.

You'll need to sync it up manually on the timeline, adding room tone/ambience as needed.

Actually there is a single operation to correct...

On the Cut Page; Right Click on the file in the media pool and go to Clip Attributes. Then under Video Frame Rate, I changed it to 50. Now when I go to make cuts, everything is in sync and runs smoothly.

John Paines

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 8:07 pm

Clip attributes only changes the video rate. The audio will not be in actual sync. Look again. If you've got nothing but background noise, the drift may not be obvious. But it's there.

Cavalicious

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:02 pm

John Paines wrote:Clip attributes only changes the video rate. The audio will not be in actual sync. Look again. If you've got nothing but background noise, the drift may not be obvious. But it's there.

True, there is drift, but not too bad and a hell of a lot better than what it was. Price to pay for not paying attention.

DavidVogt

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:30 pm

Resolve does a pretty good job placing off speed video on the timeline frame rate you have selected. If the frame rate differences are not in an integral relationship to one another, playback can be improved by turning on frame blending or optical flow in the project settings to smooth out the creation of the interpreted frames.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Return to DaVinci Resolve