Help a Teacher out! How to create "universal bin"?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thewheel

Help a Teacher out! How to create "universal bin"?

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 2:56 pm

Fellow Magicians!
I teach at an urban liberal arts college where I am experimenting with intense role-playing games to help students engage history on a visceral level.
I film every class and immediately afterwards do a quick and dirty edit, color, sound, etc-- and then post it so that the students can study their performances and quote their opposing characters' weakest lines!

Here is my question: I edit dozens and dozens of these videos, but as I do so, I want to compile-- over time and semesters-- the best moments so that I can make a sizzle reel someday without having to go back and watch 50 hours of film. Is there a way, say while editing these 50-minute videos, to isolate snippets and send them independently to a universal bin or timeline that will always be accessible even when I am working on the next 50-minute video, or the next?

This will save me so much time if you have any wisdom for a simple way to do this!
thank you!
Michael

panos_mts

Re: Help a Teacher out! How to create "universal bin"?

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 3:12 pm

Power Bins are always accessible with every project on the database.
You can drag clips from the timeline to a Power Bin.

If you have Resolve 18.1 you have to open the 3 dots menu on the media pool and enable the "Show Power Bins". If you have an older Resolve version you have to go to the View menu to enable it.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun Dec 11, 2022 5:06 pm

You realize your footage has to remain online for this to work as well.
If I understand you correctly, you want this to be available for a long time span, i would suggest exporting these snippets as "best of" masters and using those for your future students.

Uli Plank

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 1:38 am

Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

thewheel

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 10:15 pm

panos_mts wrote:Power Bins are always accessible with every project on the database.
You can drag clips from the timeline to a Power Bin.

If you have Resolve 18.1 you have to open the 3 dots menu on the media pool and enable the "Show Power Bins". If you have an older Resolve version you have to go to the View menu to enable it.

Thanks for this! Ok. So I created a power bin to direct me to just the highlights of the class footage. But now as I scrub over these long clips for normal editing, how do I get only an impactful segment, say of 15 seconds, to alone be transported to this new power bin? I can create an in and out but not sure how to get that clip into a bin. (I understand that I will need to keep the master footage on the hard drive, and render those clips in the power bin if I need to delete the huge clips down the road.)

thewheel

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 10:17 pm

Glenn Sakatch wrote:You realize your footage has to remain online for this to work as well.
If I understand you correctly, you want this to be available for a long time span, i would suggest exporting these snippets as "best of" masters and using those for your future students.

Thanks. I now realize that I will have to render those highlight clips into hi-quality snippets... Is there a way to do that within Resolve that is tidy and efficient?

thanks
Michael

Uli Plank

PostTue Dec 13, 2022 2:44 am

Depending on the kind of footage (codec!) Media Management may do what you are looking for.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=172352
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve