Depth Map rendering problem (delayed matte)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

krstfm

Depth Map rendering problem (delayed matte)

PostMon Dec 12, 2022 9:17 am

Hello,
I have pretty complex grading project of a short film, where I often use Depth Map tool to seperate actors from background, for example to bring the background down.

In project, when I go frame by frame, the key created with Depth Map is pretty good. But when I render the clip the key is somehow couple frames delayed compared to the subject. Faster the subject is moving, worse the delay is.

- When I render Cache in project, the problem is the same as for the export render
- When i change Depth Map quality settings to Faster - the problem is solved, but then the key is not perfect and subjects are flickering (That is some common issue as I found out on forums)
- Map Finesse "Postprocessing" checked in Depth Map settings

I think that maybe my computer is too slow to render Better quality Depth Map, because when I change it from Faster to Better, the project gets extremely slow.

Source footage: Alexa Mini LF, Prores 4444 XQ, 2,8K

MacBook Pro 16 2021
M1 Pro
16gb Memory
Davinci Studio 18.1 Build 16

Thanks so much for your advice!

nkerezov

Re: Depth Map rendering problem (delayed matte)

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 3:06 am

Hi there,

I am currently facing the exact same issue and can't seem to find a solution online.

Would you mind please sharing yours if you managed to find one? :D

jlromano19

Re: Depth Map rendering problem (delayed matte)

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 1:16 am

Hi there!

I don't know if they found a solution to this problem. I had it too and after trying some changes to the node structure I solved it. It's simple, I suspected the matte delay was because I had some nodes after the pair of depth masks, so I put them at the end of the structure, even after the last one (CST) and it worked, even with postprocessing on. I hope you find it useful.

JL

Return to DaVinci Resolve